1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nanodroid restore

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mthill2, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mthill2

mthill2 Well-Known Member

Before doing a nanodroid restore do you do a factory reset or wipe anything?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Nope, just restore it. :)

andygu3 likes this.
  3. mthill2

Thanks. Before I was doing a wipe and I think it was messing things up because it would not go past the white screen! Does it hurt to do the wipe or......??????

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Depends what your wiping...

If your doing superwipe or something like that where its wiping your boot that could possibly give you some problems.

Also, what recovery do you have?

5. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Android Enthusiast

Won't hurt at all to wipe before restoring, I usually do. It's an ongoing debate (see this thread for one), but I've seen a lot of mention of at least wiping your cache, as that is not one of the things you backup with a nandroid, so it won't be overridden.

Edit:
    whoops, just saw your second post... you shouldn't hit a white screen when restoring a nandroid even after wiping -- I always wipe everything (including system and boot) before restoring a nandroid, and have never had a problem. I wonder if your nandroid is corrupted...

dustwun77 likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

I never wipe before restoring my nandroid backup. Never had any issues. When you restore a nandroid backup it will restore you're cache and dalvik cache. But it does not hurt anyways.

7. mthill2

Thanks for the help!!! Sense Roms just keep on sucking me back in from aosp

8. JustSomeDude

Hey ocn, do you check "cache" in Amon Ra when do your nandroids? I was going off of the info in this guy's post here to form my opinions on this, so I'm curious about your take on it.

9. ocnbrze

No I only keep the first three checked. I believe that it is system, data, and boot. The cache option is for those who have the card partitioned and have cache moved to the card.

JustSomeDude and dustwun77 like this.
  10. JustSomeDude

Ok thanks, that makes sense. I do the same, although I usually check wimax and recovery too (I'm overly cautious -- hence the always wiping a ton before doing any/everything :) ). I was just curious in terms of what akazabam said in that post I linked. Guess I'll read around a bit more to try and get a better grasp...

11. mthill2

When performing a restore does the ROM and kernel need to still be on the root of your SD????

12. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

no, it is all in the nand you are restoring.

13. ocnbrze

once you flash the rom and kernel, those zip files are no longer needed. you can go ahead and delete them.

dustwun77 likes this.
  14. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

Just my 2c I wipe just like when I flash cashe dalvic cashe data and flash superwipe . It works for me with no issues so far so thats why I keep doing it that way.

15. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

That is how I do it too. I didn't know any better. :p

It is simple and easy to do and I just have gotten into the habit.

16. ocnbrze

man i love akazabam's posts. he is so awesome. and thank you for bringing that post back from the past.

basically what he is saying is that it is not necessary to wipe before restoring nandroid backups as the recovery wipes the partitions before restoring the nandroid backup. so ideally you really do not need to wipe before restoring. but like akazabam says "it does not hurt" to do it and it just takes a few seconds.

mikem0269 likes this.
  17. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

Well I certainly trust akazabam, but I always wipe before restoring. But maybe I should rethink that.

18. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

Agree with most but I've never done any sort of wipe with a restore. Even going from AOSP to a Sense rom or vice versa. Going back to the Hero days, just always went by what Darkstar originally stated that a wipe before a restore was not needed nor would it help/hurt anything

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews