• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nanodroid restore

Won't hurt at all to wipe before restoring, I usually do. It's an ongoing debate (see this thread for one), but I've seen a lot of mention of at least wiping your cache, as that is not one of the things you backup with a nandroid, so it won't be overridden.

Edit:
whoops, just saw your second post... you shouldn't hit a white screen when restoring a nandroid even after wiping -- I always wipe everything (including system and boot) before restoring a nandroid, and have never had a problem. I wonder if your nandroid is corrupted...

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
I never wipe before restoring my nandroid backup. Never had any issues. When you restore a nandroid backup it will restore you're cache and dalvik cache. But it does not hurt anyways.

Hey ocn, do you check "cache" in Amon Ra when do your nandroids? I was going off of the info in this guy's post here to form my opinions on this, so I'm curious about your take on it.

Upvote 0
Hey ocn, do you check "cache" in Amon Ra when do your nandroids? I was going off of the info in this guy's post here to form my opinions on this, so I'm curious about your take on it.

No I only keep the first three checked. I believe that it is system, data, and boot. The cache option is for those who have the card partitioned and have cache moved to the card.

Upvote 0
No I only keep the first three checked. I believe that it is system, data, and boot. The cache option is for those who have the card partitioned and have cache moved to the card.

Ok thanks, that makes sense. I do the same, although I usually check wimax and recovery too (I'm overly cautious -- hence the always wiping a ton before doing any/everything :) ). I was just curious in terms of what akazabam said in that post I linked. Guess I'll read around a bit more to try and get a better grasp...http://androidforums.com/members/akazabam.html

Upvote 0
Ok thanks, that makes sense. I do the same, although I usually check wimax and recovery too (I'm overly cautious -- hence the always wiping a ton before doing any/everything :) ). I was just curious in terms of what akazabam said in that post I linked. Guess I'll read around a bit more to try and get a better grasp...http://androidforums.com/members/akazabam.html

man i love akazabam's posts. he is so awesome. and thank you for bringing that post back from the past.

basically what he is saying is that it is not necessary to wipe before restoring nandroid backups as the recovery wipes the partitions before restoring the nandroid backup. so ideally you really do not need to wipe before restoring. but like akazabam says "it does not hurt" to do it and it just takes a few seconds.

Reactions: mikem0269
Upvote 0
Before doing a nanodroid restore do you do a factory reset or wipe anything?

Agree with most but I've never done any sort of wipe with a restore. Even going from AOSP to a Sense rom or vice versa. Going back to the Hero days, just always went by what Darkstar originally stated that a wipe before a restore was not needed nor would it help/hurt anything

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones