• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navionics on Android.

mlines

Jun 8, 2010
Anyone using Navionics??

Looks like the app needs a bit more work on the Android version.

Navionics kills the battery on the HTC Desire. It puts the GPS on full-time unlike other Applications which have settings to pulse the GPS off and on at user selected intervals. When the app is dormant it still leaves the GPS on, as it is impossible to exit the App you continually drain the battery until you kill the App (using App killer) or use the widget to switch of the GPS. This is not very good.

It seems possible to record an "empty" track (ie. turn tracking on, then turn it off without going anywhere). This then becomes an entry in your list of tracks which is difficult to delete. In order to delete it you need to display the track on the screen and "press" on the track to get the track details and the delete facility, as the track is empty there is nothing to "press" on.

There is no edit available on the recorded tracks. Using it as a "log" on the boat over the weekend it recorded a nice track etc. for the trip and then proceeded to continue recording the track all the way home in the car (because I forgot to switch tracking off). When veiwing the track and sharing it on the facebook/navionics sharing facility, you then get the trip details including the drive home. It would be nice to be able to cut segments from the track.

Pinch zoom has not been implemented.

Hope this helps someone.

Got it yesterday - seems good value for what you get - the tides are of great use!

I sent the same message as I posted above to Navionics and they replied with an email regarding a fix for the GPS issue. A new version has been released and I can confirm it works a lot better.

Took it out on the boat last weekend and had a play, the Facebook/Twitter upload works quite well, creating a nice link to Google Maps...

http://wa01.navionicsmobile.com:8080/up/up//1277660231038route01.kmz/newdoc.kml - Google Maps

However, in terms of practical use in an open boat, I cannot read the screen in the bright sunlight!!. All the problems everyone has reported about use in the sun on land are multiplied on water - strong sun, high glare and a white hulled boat = unreadable screen :(

Also the camera function button (in Navionics, not the real camera button) is difficult to press in a moving boat.

And the photo upload to Facebook requires "approval" so I wasted my time uploading "live" pictures from the Solent as they did not appear until I approved them later that night at home.

But, just for the live Wind, Tide and Current information it is cheaper than any other commercial Tide prediction software so its worth the money to me. And I do like the Facebook track logging acting as a record oof what we did.

Martin

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I respond to my own post to inform you that Navionics fixed the display bug.

They responded to my e-mail to let me know and to ask me to 1) delete the map from my SD card (the whole /Navionics folder as I had only one map installed on my side) 2) restart my phone and restart the app to initiate a new download.

The app now works perfectly with my HTC Legend.

Kind regards

Upvote 0
Hi,

I've just installed Navionics Holland UK charts on my T-Mobile Pulse, it took a few attempts but it now says that it is installed. However when I try to launch, I get the warning screen and press the 'I agree' button and then I get a forced close.

I know that the Pulse is not officially supported by Navionics, but I have upgraded the software to version 2.1 and it has a 2GB SD card. Anybody have any ideas how to aolve the problem?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Pulse1,

That's strange. Maybe something went wrong in the maps download. I think you should send them an email. They use to respond, and quite quickly.

My instance of the app is suddently working again for a week or so. I did let Navionics know about this. They told be that it may come from a kind of memory management issue.

They also told me that a new version, expected more stable, is coming soon with a bunch of new features.

Let's see!

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if there is a problem installing two navionic apps on the same phone. Of course the map border intersects my fishing area. If I go North out of the inlet I have the map, if I have south, I dont. So I need to buy the adjacent app and would like to install it on the same phone.

....Note about the navionics app locking/not working

In December my install would stall and just sit on a gray screen forever, it simply did not work. Un/reinstalling didn't help, but the next update fixed and its been working fine since.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones