• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a BB-style Android phone with good battery life

JHW

Jun 28, 2010
Folks --

I am a happy Android user and have an HTC Desire Z. A family member has a basic Nokia texting phone (Nokia C3) and I would like to get her an Android phone so that she can have her Google e-mail and calendar on-the-go. I will buy the phone second-hand / unlocked. We are in Canada.

Key criteria:

• QWERTY is a must, prefer BB form factor
  • Good battery life (especially on standby)
  • As lightweight as possible

She doesn't have a data plan (will use Wifi only) and I will likely set the phone to use 2G only, to save battery life. (It is notoriously difficult to estimate battery life from reviews, as they don't generally look at standby time or non-data usage)

Trying to keep the cost as low as possible, I've been looking at a few models:

• HTC Status
  • LG Gossip Pro
  • Sony Xperia Mini Pro

Which of these (or another phone) would be preferred, given my criteria?

TIA

Thanks, but she doesn't want to pay for a data plan, and if she needs the browser to look at Gmail or Google Calendar, she won't be able to look at them when she is away from Wifi.

I'm pretty sure you can import gmail/gcal into a BB. But otherwise, maybe she'd like a cheap refurbished Android, except most of them don't have physical keyboards.

I got my wife an LG android phone a few months ago, and she's adapted to it pretty well, after some initial resistance. Both she and I loved our old Palm Pilots, which were so much better integrated and offline-functional than modern smartphones, but once you get used to android/iPhone power, it's hard to go back :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones