• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a new phone, would you buy a dinc today

boatman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
Not sure what to get, don't need lte, but that is the way the tech is moving. Gonna have this phone now 20 months, so am wondering if the dinc is a dinosaur now, or just 'broken' in.

Just curious how the dinc stands up, what others with it think if they HAD to replace their phone today for 20 months would you get a dinc, or use an old phone for a few months to wait to see what came out before pulling the plug.

if i had to walk in to a verzion store and get a phone today i would still pick up the inc. that being said, i would wait it out a few months if i could afford to, there are some hot phones coming out.

Yeah...if I got the phone today, I'd be happy with it. But I'd also have an unshakable feeling that I missed out on something awesome. But, honestly, the Incredible is probably a better phone for me than Either the Bionic or Thunderbolt.

If you get a good price for the Incredible, definitely get it (especially if you can do a 1 year contract as rdjr74 suggests). Unless you're obsessed with having the latest and greatest (which, since you're asking about buying a 9 month old phone, you aren't), the Thunderbolt is not $200 more phone (unless the bigger size is worth that).

Upvote 0
If you can do a year contract get an incredible (only for a good price if it's possible). If not me personally will be waiting for the next round of phones. This soon to be line-up (Bionic/ Thunderbolt) doesn't thoroughly impress me enough to run out and get one. This time next year I will be ready for a new phone so I'm eager to see the rumored phones come this December/ Jan.

Upvote 0
Not just "no", but "H-E-L-L NO". Was truly "incredible" until last August when this bastardized HTC version of Froyo came out. Since then it's a piece of trash and I can't WAIT until I can chuck it into the Ohio River!

The beautiful thing about this phone and Android in general is that if you don't like something, you can change it. 2.2 no good? Flash back to 2.1. Hell, port 2.3.

Need something? There's a rom for that.

If I was going to Verizon TODAY to buy a phone, I would still get the Inc. Best phone I've ever had, hands down. Little thing does everything. If I could wait a few more months, I'd hold out for a nice dual core and front facing camera.

I just hope that when I finally decide to graduate from my Inc, all the phones haven't turned into mini tablets with 5"+ screens. I love the form factor of this phone and don't see myself wanting to carry around a 4.3" screen until the bezel is cut down to basically nothing.

Upvote 0
Sure, I COULD flash the phone or port to 2.3. But I should NOT have to. The phone worked AS ADVERTISED when I bought it. HTC/Google BROKE it and refuse to fix it. That is crap, no matter if I CAN do things to it (that void the warranty) to make it better.

i call bs man i was having mad problems with stock fryo and then i called htc them selfs after talking to verizon and they sent me a shiny new phone not referbed with an AMOLED screen just like that

Upvote 0
Not just "no", but "H-E-L-L NO". Was truly "incredible" until last August when this bastardized HTC version of Froyo came out. Since then it's a piece of trash and I can't WAIT until I can chuck it into the Ohio River!

I do not have your issues and froyo has been fine for me, buuuut, I'm also in cincy, maybe we can meet downtown and chuck our phones into the river together. Lol

Upvote 0
I still love my phone and I actually would still buy it at this point in time. It has never given me any trouble at all, either before or after Froyo. One of the three best phones I have ever owned. The only thing that has ever puzzled me is what exactly all of that built in memory is really supposed to be used for. No matter how much music, wallpapers, media, etc. I put into my Incredible, it never seems to use up any of that built in memory.

Upvote 0
Great phone. Might even argue its been a landmark device...one that will have a legacy remembered for some time. That said its getting late in the game. I'd try to predict the next big thing that will hopefully get dev attention for a long time in the future. For me the best phone on the market is the one the power devs migrate to. I tend to think from a root perspective though.

Upvote 0
I would say, "It depends." I think the determining factor is what do you want to do with your phone? If you want to root it and use programs that require root, you should get the Dinc. A one click root method has been fully developed for it, there are several very polished ROMs that have been developed and or ported to it. The community is mature and helpful. The phone is a GOOD phone.

However, if you want all the latest features and want to be on the bleeding edge of discovery and use, wait for one of the new phones coming out in the next couple months. Learn and grow with the community. Shoot! That's half the fun. :)

Upvote 0
I would still buy this phone today because I don't want or need a bigger phone. For me, the Dinc is just about the perfect size combined with just enough horsepower to do what I want. Sure I would like to have more power, but phones nowadays are going to bigger screens, bigger form factor, etc. I'm old school and still prefer my phone to be on the smaller size. So the Dinc is a perfect fit for me.

Upvote 0
I would say, "It depends." I think the determining factor is what do you want to do with your phone? If you want to root it and use programs that require root, you should get the Dinc. A one click root method has been fully developed for it, there are several very polished ROMs that have been developed and or ported to it. The community is mature and helpful. The phone is a GOOD phone.

However, if you want all the latest features and want to be on the bleeding edge of discovery and use, wait for one of the new phones coming out in the next couple months. Learn and grow with the community. Shoot! That's half the fun. :)

I agree with Smabbage.

I loved this phone before I rooted it. But since I rooted last week I love it even more. Perfect size plenty of power. It is more than a phone, it's a hobby.

Would definately buy again if I had to today.

Upvote 0
If it was literally today, I would go with the Incredible, but otherwise I would hold out a little while for the HTC Thunderbolt; I wouldn't get a Motorola phone though.

Does anyone know if they're going to put out another model based on the Incredible? I was kind of assuming that the Thunderbolt was kind of a replacement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones