• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Advice on Whether or Not to get Droid

Having used both for short periods of time, I would choose the Droid over the iPhone for (well, everything) messaging. I like the functionality a little bit better, and the physical keyboard is great to have there if you want or need it. I don't know what the apps on the iPhone look like as far as messaging functionality go, but there are a lot of nice text message apps that either replace or add features to the default client.

Bug wise, it's new. Some of the phones are buggy and broken, but if it is, just return it to the store and get a working one. My device works fine, haven't had a problem with it yet.

Honestly, as much as I don't like the iPhone, you can't go wrong with either of these phones.

Upvote 0
I would pick the Droid.

Even if you were pondering between a BlackBerry Storm and an iPhone, I'd pick the Storm because of Verizon's network.

Verizon, in my opinion is better than AT&T when it comes to hardware, reception and 3G Coverage (overall). Verizon is already working on LTE and the 4G Network on Verizon will be coming soon.

Verizon also has a better selection of phones. For example, BlackBerries: Pearl Flip, Storm 1 and Storm 2, Curve, Tour, World, 8703, and now soon the Curve 2, and Essex (Bold 2). Unlike AT&T, all Verizon BlackBerries have 3G data. AT&T only has the Bold with 3G support.

Verizon is also finally starting to embrace hardware, too. They

Upvote 0
My advice on whether you should get the Droid is based on whether you want 100,000 apps at your disposal. If the answer is yes, grab yourself an iPhone. However, if you want a powerful phone with a modest (but still plentiful) app store, that can do ALL the things the iPhone can do and then some, the Droid is for you. I am a former iPhone 3GS user and I can honestly say, although the iPhone is a GREAT device, it pales in comparison to the droid.....of course IMHO

Upvote 0
Device wise there is no doubt or debate the iphone is the better device BUT until the iphone is available on Verizon it is a no go for me. I love Android 2.0 and unfortunately it is only available at this time on the Droid which really isn't that great of a device (in my opinion). If most of the people you know/talk/text with are on ATT then you might be wise to go with the iphone because it would be more economical for you to do so. Verizon is the superior network no doubt. If you don't get a iphone then get a Android device no doubt (preferably 2.0 if you can deal with the akward layout/design of the Droid).

Upvote 0
I hear people complain about the awkward layout, but just don't see it. I love my droid, and have no problems with its layout. This may be a hand size issue. Don't count out the Eris either. Although it is a generation behind on the android software, it will be updated when 2.0 makes its way to the masses (currently droid is only phone that has it). If by chance you do get a lemon it is easy to exchange. The only issue I have with mine is the camera and this is supposed to see a fix on 12/11 according to Verizon. The Verizon network is also a key factor, although, it is possible that AT&T is better in your area. If Verizon has good service in your area, my choice would be the droid or Eris.

Upvote 0
I hear people complain about the awkward layout, but just don't see it. I love my droid, and have no problems with its layout. This may be a hand size issue. Don't count out the Eris either. Although it is a generation behind on the android software, it will be updated when 2.0 makes its way to the masses (currently droid is only phone that has it). If by chance you do get a lemon it is easy to exchange. The only issue I have with mine is the camera and this is supposed to see a fix on 12/11 according to Verizon. The Verizon network is also a key factor, although, it is possible that AT&T is better in your area. If Verizon has good service in your area, my choice would be the droid or Eris.

I'm 6'1 and have the hands to match my body size and the Droid is akward for me to hold. The phone is too tall it seems and the placement of the lock/unlock button is in a spot that isn't convenient.

They should have made the home button at the bottom be an actual physical button that could then also be used to lock/unlock the screen and eliminated the search button which would then allow them to place the back key on the left side of the home button and the menu key on the right side. The home button would be in the center and as i said be a physical key similar to the iphones.

Upvote 0
I'm 6'1 and have the hands to match my body size and the Droid is akward for me to hold. The phone is too tall it seems and the placement of the lock/unlock button is in a spot that isn't convenient.

They should have made the home button at the bottom be an actual physical button that could then also be used to lock/unlock the screen and eliminated the search button which would then allow them to place the back key on the left side of the home button and the menu key on the right side. The home button would be in the center and as i said be a physical key similar to the iphones.

Why don't you just trade your phone with all the complaining you have been doing. Maybe the palm pixi will fit your hands better

Upvote 0

Thats seems contradicting to me? Your hands are so big that it makes the phone too tall?? I guess I dont understand, wouldnt that compliment? I am 6'2" 210lbs and the Droid fits perfectly in my hands both Vertically and Horizontally, if it doesnt 'fit' your style just exchange it. It's super easy with Verizon...

Upvote 0
I have been with iPhone since its debut and owned all three generations. I just jumped ship to Droid and let me tell you why.
AT&T 3G coverage totally destroy the usability of iPhone in my office. I only get edge network. After seeing the map ads I decided to give Droid and vzw a try. And now I am happier than ever.
IPhone does give you more apps, better multi touch, better multi lingual input, and better multimedia integration as an iPod.
What Droid gives me is multitasking, vzw broad 3G coverage, a real working flash camera, flash player, free Google calendar as opposed to mobileme, better screen, available insurance, free GPS.
Both support exchange server, both have brilliant virtual keyboard. IPhone has better user interface but Droid is not too far behind.
Apple has been playing with incremental upgrade throughout the last two refreshes. I can feel their lack of sincerity by looking at the obvious omission of camera flash and flash player. They want you to fit in their vision and their business model, rather than create one around mainstream customers.
As my iPhone now refuses to sync with iTunes as an iPod, I feel myself finally jailbreak out of the castle of Jobs.
My suggestion to you is to sign one year and pay 270 for Droid. You can jump to some fancy phones this time next year and that's my plan.

Upvote 0
You're going to get a LOT of responses to your question...but here are some cold hard facts you should consider. I've been with VZW for 10 years and the rest of my tech world is totally Apple. I LOVE the iPhone...it's a wonderful device, obviates the need for a separate iPod, has a zillion accessories and applications, and the "good" list goes on, and on, and on.

But when you have that shiny new iPhone in your hands, with FIVE bars, and you're dropping calls several times a day you'll start wondering about your decision. You'll call AT&T support and then you'll start wondering even more about your decision.

I bought an iPhone 3GS a couple of months ago and kept it for the 30-day trial period, during which my wife and I took a 1500-mile car trip (all on major interstates). The only time...and I mean the ONLY time...I had a signal at all with the iPhone was when we were going through a town...and most of the time it was NOT 3G. The ENTIRE time...every single mile of the trip...she had 1XEV on her BlackBerry.

Additionally, we never drop calls locally here locally and we always have a good signal. The grass obviously looks greener on the iPhone side of things, and in some cases it is. But IMHO, stay away from the iPhone. Get the Droid for now and figure out a way to get the iPhone once Verizon picks it up in Q3 of 2010, which should be just short of a year from now.

Upvote 0
My suggestion to you is to sign one year and pay 270 for Droid. You can jump to some fancy phones this time next year and that's my plan.

Why do that? If you have a plan of $69/mo or more with VZW you can upgrade after one year with only a $25 surcharge for any phone. They've always had that deal and I've upgraded every year for the past five years...and I've been on new two-year contract every time I got a new phone.

Upvote 0
Check this thread out too...it also has some good points in it.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/14690-iphone-killer-yay-nay.html

I also am a big guy at 6'3" 225lbs. My hands have a span of 10.5". At first I had a bit of a hard time with the physical keyboard...still have yet to use the virtual. I am getting used to it...just like everything else it takes practice. I am sitting in front of a $5000.00 custom built PC atm...and I still have a hard time putting the Droid down.

When the iphone came out...I wanted one badly but couldn't bring myself to get one because; I work for Fedex and I need a phone that works all the time. I can't recall the last time I've had a dropped call with verizon.

I wrote this in the link above:

- Both of these devices are obviously mobile phones, if your service provider doesn't provide service for 90% of the country (AT&T) then your already behind. AT&T customers are paying roughly the same price but not getting the same service by a long shot! So if you own a iphone I am happy it works for you ...just don't leave your home town. There's a map for that.

- The Droid has the iphone beat in hardware hands down. Bigger screen with more than twice the pixels, removable battery and memory, a physical keyboard, and a better camera.

- In all fairness the tech reviews I have seen put the iphone ahead of the droid in web browsing by a eye straining 1/10th of a second. I can deal with that.

- Just the fact that the droid 2 weeks before is was released was already being compared to the iphones equal is a severe compliment because the iphone is established.

- The iphone definetly has a ton more apps than the droid atm....but lets be realistic; how many can you use or put on a device anyway? I could lose hours just browsing the more than 10,000 that google has right now. Besides...you are aware who makes most of and the best apps for the iphone anyway right? yup..google.

- When the iphone came out one of the biggest complaints I've heard was that it did not record video..then a month later a model came out that did. Is this not a slap in the face or what? This is because Apple is in the business of selling products (like the iphone) and google is in the marketing/advertising business. This is why google put one of the best apps you will ever find for a mobile device, google maps, on the droid for FREE! Backed by verizon's service (which will be 4G next year)...it's pretty clear who the winner is-

DROID

The End.

So...I guess you really have to ask yourself one question because you will be happy with either. So it comes down to the network then right? If your big into texting do you want to go with the provider that has the better coverage?

Upvote 0
Thanks. The reasons why I want to stay with Verizon are all of my friends and family (besides my Mom and Step Dad but they don't text and are usually home anyway) have Verizon. I travel a lot especailly by car so not having a signal during a road trip would be another major issue. Another factor is that I am transfering colleges within the year so if I end up going across the country I still need to have a cellphone that has a signal. Should I maybe just wait for other smart phones to come out? Our plan has only allowed us to get an upgrade every two years and we had a 3 person family plan. However I would now be on a plan by myself. What other smartphones are too be released in the near future?

Upvote 0
Thanks. The reasons why I want to stay with Verizon are all of my friends and family (besides my Mom and Step Dad but they don't text and are usually home anyway) have Verizon. I travel a lot especailly by car so not having a signal during a road trip would be another major issue. Another factor is that I am transfering colleges within the year so if I end up going across the country I still need to have a cellphone that has a signal. Should I maybe just wait for other smart phones to come out? Our plan has only allowed us to get an upgrade every two years and we had a 3 person family plan. However I would now be on a plan by myself. What other smartphones are too be released in the near future?

There's always going to be a "next" smartphone and if you keep waiting for the best...you'll never be able to enjoy the current ones :) If your VZW plan is $69/mo or more you're eligible for anew phone ever 12 months, even being on a 2-year contract. After 12 months you pay a $25 upgrade fee and you have your new phone.

There will be several OTA upgrades to the Droid over the next year and it already has a fast processor...so I would recommend getting it.

Upvote 0
I used both and bought the droid. The screen is so much better and you can customize th einterface with apps and openhome. It is much faster than the Eris and much more future proof with respect to new apps that require a faster cpu. Pinch zoom will come out as soon as the source code is released.

Upvote 0
Check this thread out too...it also has some good points in it.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/14690-iphone-killer-yay-nay.html

I also am a big guy at 6'3" 225lbs. My hands have a span of 10.5". At first I had a bit of a hard time with the physical keyboard...still have yet to use the virtual. I am getting used to it...just like everything else it takes practice. I am sitting in front of a $5000.00 custom built PC atm...and I still have a hard time putting the Droid down.

When the iphone came out...I wanted one badly but couldn't bring myself to get one because; I work for Fedex and I need a phone that works all the time. I can't recall the last time I've had a dropped call with verizon.

I wrote this in the link above:

So...I guess you really have to ask yourself one question because you will be happy with either. So it comes down to the network then right? If your big into texting do you want to go with the provider that has the better coverage?

While we all are entitled to our own opinions I must disagree with you on the supremacy of the phones themselves. There is no doubt that Verizon is far superior to ATT. Phone/device wise though the Droid doesn't even compete with the iPhone and not because of apps. The iPhone is designed like other Apple products with user experience and ease of use of utmost importance and that combined with everything the iPhone does is why it is the huge success that it is.

When companies attempt to imitate Apple they forget what it is that makes Apple products so great it is their great design and attention to ease of use. The Droid as a device fails in these areas. When and if someone makes a device that can compete with the iPhone with Android 2.0 on Verizon I will truly be in smartphone heaven but until then I guess I am stuck with a akward but powerful phone running the best phone OS on the best network in the country.

Upvote 0
My only two complaints... The camera is the worst feature on the phone and an embarrassment to the manufacturer. ...and to make a call, you have go at least 5 menus deep just to get to the call log, or hit at least 3 menus deep to call from contacts.

Think you got it wrong. Yes, the camera does suck (some users are having better luck than others with the camera focus, I've heard), hopefully firmware updates will improve it. However, I can get to the call log just by selecting the phone icon on the home screen and then call log tab. One more tap on the green phone icon next to the desired number places the call- 3 taps total. Same for contacts- select a contact and select the green phone icon next to the desired number to place a call.

Upvote 0
Think you got it wrong. Yes, the camera does suck (some users are having better luck than others with the camera focus, I've heard), hopefully firmware updates will improve it. However, I can get to the call log just by selecting the phone icon on the home screen and then call log tab. One more tap on the green phone icon next to the desired number places the call- 3 taps total. Same for contacts- select a contact and select the green phone icon next to the desired number to place a call.

Agree...I don't think there is a phone out there you can reach the call log with in fewer than two clicks (what the Droid employs) except a BlackBerry.

Regarding the camera...you may have a defective phone. I've been an avid amateur photographer so I know crappy vs. good. Most phones I've ever used are certainly crappy...including the iPhone. I would rate this one (as far as phones go) as very good. You have to put it in perspective...you'll never have a great camera on a phone...and you'll never have a phone on a great camera.

Upvote 0
Well you saved one click hounddog, I didn't realize the phone Icon would call without opening the contact first, thanks for pointing that out. However, if you count the initial click to open the phone as well, so you pull it out of your pocket, click (slide) to open the phone, click on phone, click on call log, click on phone icon. That's a minimum of 4. On my old phone I just hit the call button and my call log was right there (1 click) then one more to make the call. This may be a nitpicky thing, but it was noticeably faster and easier on my last phone. And before you start a slammin, yes I know this phone does more than my old phone, and yes, I like the droid better than my old phone for all that it offers.

On the camera, I agree with you Larry that cell phone's usually have crappy phones, however both the HTC and the Iphone have much better cameras and have much better interfaces for the camera. We took pictures of the sunset last night and the HTC blew the Droid away in color accuracy, exposure, and with a better FOV, and he was able to take 2 or 3 pictures in the same time it took for me to take one and have the camera ready to take the next. I'm an amateur photog as well. I usually shoot with a Nikon D90. Just sayin', the latest tech phone should have beat the Iphone at 2 years old. Expecially if the adds do nothing but say how much better the droid is.

I would bet that someday cell phones will have cameras as good as some of the point and shoots out there that are almost already the same size. A hint for people BTW, if you want to lose the auto focus hitch, and get your shots in focus the first time, change the preference to infinity or macro until they send out the patch for the auto focus.

Upvote 0
On the camera, I agree with you Larry that cell phone's usually have crappy phones, however both the HTC and the Iphone have much better cameras and have much better interfaces for the camera. We took pictures of the sunset last night and the HTC blew the Droid away in color accuracy, exposure, and with a better FOV, and he was able to take 2 or 3 pictures in the same time it took for me to take one and have the camera ready to take the next. I'm an amateur photog as well. I usually shoot with a Nikon D90. Just sayin', the latest tech phone should have beat the Iphone at 2 years old. Expecially if the adds do nothing but say how much better the droid is.

I would bet that someday cell phones will have cameras as good as some of the point and shoots out there that are almost already the same size. A hint for people BTW, if you want to lose the auto focus hitch, and get your shots in focus the first time, change the preference to infinity or macro until they send out the patch for the auto focus.

Hmmm...your iPhone native phone app must have been different than mine...which wasn't any better, if as good, as my Droid. I had a couple of apps on it that improved it though, and they'll likely come with time for the Droid.

I have a Droid manufactured in week 42 (42/09) on the label under the batter and I do not have the focus issue. I agree with you though to set the pref to Infinity for normal shots or Macro in the interim.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones