• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need custom recovery/unlock for custom roms?

durak

Nov 3, 2011
Hi all,

New to Galaxy S2 modding here. I wanted to flash some custom roms, but have trouble figuring out if i need a custom recovery or something unlocked first. Doesn't sound like it, but would like to make sure.

With a stock phone, do i just copy the zips to sd card and flash all the required cleaner/modem/rom files as it says in directions and i'll be good to go?

Appreciate any pointers.

Hi all,

New to Galaxy S2 modding here. I wanted to flash some custom roms, but have trouble figuring out if i need a custom recovery or something unlocked first. Doesn't sound like it, but would like to make sure.

With a stock phone, do i just copy the zips to sd card and flash all the required cleaner/modem/rom files as it says in directions and i'll be good to go?

Appreciate any pointers.

Welcome, and I was there too just a short while ago, so your smart to be asking.

It can't be stressed too much, read, and than re-read how to go about doing the sequence. Odin on the PC, and getting the drivers for the phone to end up as being recognized as a USB device Odin could interface with were key for me.

Than after the recovery is "injected" by Odin, and any other zip etc. required also, the rest is done using the phone's recovery, (and each ROM (for the most part) has it's own recovery that it will respond to.

Taking that advise myself, I rooted, and than later jumped to Viluminati, CM11, (as my Nexus7 tablet, and my ZTE Warp2, also run CM11 and I like it.) Go slow, be sure, than do as the instructions suggest, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

I'm quoting here ...
"Now if im getting this right I should:
* oden el29 kernel
* Boot to the cwm recovery
* Flash fl24 modem
* Flash hood pope
* Boot to new recovery that came from hood pope
*Flash cm11
*flash gapps
*Enjoy"

[ROM] CyanogenMod 11.0 - VILLUMINATI - March 23, 2014 - xda-developers

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...2-little-lost-could-use-help.html#post6314610

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
OMG, thank god I found this post! I've been trying to flash this for the past few days but kept hitting the status 7 error. I had had it installed before, but couldn't cope with the issues at the time. I forgot that when I flashed it before I had been on CM10.2. /facepalm

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones