• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need for a particular kind of WiFi app to choose which networks phone will connect to

cabbie

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
im looking for an app that will automatically enable my wifi for designated networks. Basically, the only location currently I really desire to use wifi is at home since if I'm at home, my phone is likely charging (since wifi eats battery) and the speed beats 3G.

I'm going through appbrain.com and finding a lot of apps that automatically scan and connect to open networks, automatically connect to the fastest network, a bunch of wifi toggle widgets...nothing really for making conditions for what networks it will connect to, especially one that has a password.

Any ideas?

Well, I think the problem is that what you're asking for can't really be done.

In order for an app to scan the network to even see if your preferred network is available, the actual wifi antenna has to be on. And, well, if it's on then you don't need the app. Basically, it's impossible to have an app that can scan wifi networks if wifi is off.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you. But I've got a secured network at home and my N1 always connects to it without me having to tell it to. And there are dozens of other networks in range, too. So if that's all your asking for, I dunno, but mine does it without a separate app.

Upvote 0
Need to go look up the name but there are a class of programs that are rules engines based on your GPS location. So at home could be ringer on connect to wifi. At work could be ringer vibrate and shut off wifi radio, that kind of thing.

I tried one for a while but it seemed to slow the phone down and I decided the overhead wasn't worth it.

Upvote 0
Well, I think the problem is that what you're asking for can't really be done.

In order for an app to scan the network to even see if your preferred network is available, the actual wifi antenna has to be on. And, well, if it's on then you don't need the app. Basically, it's impossible to have an app that can scan wifi networks if wifi is off.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you. But I've got a secured network at home and my N1 always connects to it without me having to tell it to. And there are dozens of other networks in range, too. So if that's all your asking for, I dunno, but mine does it without a separate app.

You're completely right. Damnit. So theres no real way to avoid the battery drain since just having the antenna on sucks juice, right? Unless I look into the GPS thing Ranger posted. I remember seeing those months ago and the reviews not being favorable, but perhaps they have been improved in the mean time.

I did go ahead and download WiFinder. I suppose thats my quickest solution to only connect to particular networks (instead of hopping onto any available one), at least from what I can tell...

Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0
I've actually come across apps that do what you describe: Turn wifi on/off based on location, or on/off based on time of day, though one requires gps always on, (battery drain) and I can't remember then name of the other.

You might just want to try a simple on/off widget that displays network state.

Sure you'll have to hit that one switch when you get home but I'm sure enabling wifi this way will save you digging through menus and save usage on your data.

I like this one because it shows you network and link speed and I feel it's look best compliments the Infuse's style.

It's free, has over 100,000 downloads, and nearly 1,000 Five Stars.

Wifi Widget
by Robert Burger
market.android.com/details?id=com.rb.wifiwidget&hl=en

Upvote 0
You're completely right. Damnit. So theres no real way to avoid the battery drain since just having the antenna on sucks juice, right?

I've read that wifi uses less battery than 3G, so it doesn't hurt to leave it on. I leave mine on all the time and haven't noticed any significant increase in battery drain. Also, if you connect to a wifi network, Android will remember it and automatically connect to it (assuming wifi is on) if it is range. You don't really need any extra apps for that.

Upvote 0
if you were looking for a scanner i'd say wifinder is great I use it at work. I work in installing wireless internet. being able to see hidden ssids are important for me.. and being able to scan and see the tower for a survey is exactly what I do with wifinder. No longer do I have to wipe out a laptop for kismet... but onward to what you were needing...

it's easy enough to either turn wifi on/off by yourself or let wifinder do it for you upon exit or opening...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones