• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help getting Playstore on a Rooted Evo for 5 year olds bday present

hrairguitar

Lurker
Jul 20, 2013
so the kid always plays with our phones so i thought I'd get him a used Evo 4G on CL for his birthday. Well when i bought it from the guy he said it was rooted. I thought oh cool my Epic is rooted and i love it. I work for Sprint and have lots of phone savy guys around and they did mine.

Well this evo i bought for the kid has no google playstore. It just has the old market so if he types in "despicable me" then it wont come up with the same stuff that our phones come up with. This is very frustrating. I've googled and googled and tried to download apk links from the phone and keep getting parsing errors. The phone doesnt seem to want to sync with the PC for whatever reason (neither does mine anymore!) but I feel like there has to be a way to get this thing set up. The phone isnt active and is solely to be ran on WIFI.

Please tell me there is a way to get the new plays store on there

in phone info it says
Firmware 2.1-update
Baseband version 1.29.00.04.26
Kernel Version 2.6.29-a2443432
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build number 1.32.651.1 CL171253 release keys
Software number 132.651.1
Browser Verison Webkit 3.1
PRI Version 2.33_003
PRL Version 61090

Only thing i can think of is that the dude has uninstalled the market updater app. We used to do that back in the day to prevent market from updating itself to Play because play takes up more memory.
installing an apk for play should work but i think youll have to uninstall the old market first and make sure you have "unknown sources" checked in the phone settings :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I duno what parsing error means either but i know from installing a modded version of youtube that i had to uninstall the original first.
The thing is i dont wana potentially leave you with no market and an unhappy 5yr old lol .
It might be better to ask in the device forum for that phone.
If you report your post, you can ask a mod to move this thread there for you. People with the same phone will be able to help much more than my guesswork :D
Good luck and i wish i had a parent like u when i was 5 lol (wish mobile phones had been invented) :beer:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones