• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Help Getting Started With Rooting

ChopaH

Nov 8, 2010
I'll start by saying the only reason (at the moment cause this may change after I learn what else I can do) I want to root my phone is for better battery life. I tried unsuccessfully to root it and am positive I will be able to do it with help from this forum. I've read some things about kernels and ROMs and it isn't making much sense to me. I want to start off by just having the phone rooted then eventually learn what these things are and hopefully increase my battery life.

So in a nutshell I'm asking if someone can direct me to the BEST guide for someone without much knowledge to get started and root my phone.

And also how I should go about increasing the battery life after I root it.

Many thanks in advance.

Glad to see you got your phone working again.
Seems like you did successfully root your phone the first time even though you were having slight issues with it afterwards.
There really is no one good place to look to learn everything about rooting. The best way to learn about rooting is to hang around these forums(there are a couple other good forums too) for a couple weeks and read the threads that people post, especially the ones where people are having problems. Then you can learn what to do when you encounter a problem and not freak out when something happens (kind of like what happened to you).
The first issue you are going to run into since you are new Incredible owner is the fact that you have an SLCD screen vs an AMOLED screen that the original Incredibles have. The SLCD screen is currently not supported by the official ClockworkMod recovery that is loaded onto your phone by default when using the UnrEVOked rooting tool. So the first step you need to take after rooting your phone is to flash the modified clockwork recovery available on Adrynylne's website.
http://adrynalyne.us/files/recovery/cwm/PB31IMG_cwm_mod.zip
You would flash that file in hboot by renaming the file to PB31IMG.zip and putting it on the root of your sdcard, and then boot into Hboot by turning off the phone, then hold down the volume down button and press and hold power until you see the hboot menu, then follow the on-screen instructions.
Your next step is to boot into recovery and make a backup of your phone...
As to your question about increasing battery life, besides just tweaking settings on your phone, such as turning off wi-fi and bluetooth when not use, and using wi-fi instead of 3g for data when possible. The best way is to download a custom kernel that you can underclock with set-cpu.
Info on kernels can be found here
http://androidforums.com/incredible...hy-updated-08-11-10-new-froyo-32-kernels.html
Kernels can be a trial and error type thing as to what works for you.
But anyway that's enough info for now. I'd also recommend looking at the stickied thread at the top of this forum for information.

Reactions: ChopaH
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones