• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help rooting Samsung Galaxy S5 G900V

ChicagoboyRN

Lurker
Sep 21, 2016
Been trying to root my phone now for few days following YouTube videos to no avail. Was wondering if anyone can help me.

Android Version: 4.4.4. Verizon
Build Number: KTU84P.G900VVRU1ANK2
Kernel Version: 3.4.0

I'm totally clueless when it comes to anything tech! Would appreciate any input from anyone. Thanks in advance!

Been trying to root my phone now for few days following YouTube videos to no avail. Was wondering if anyone can help me.

I'm totally clueless when it comes to anything tech! Would appreciate any input from anyone. Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums ChicagoboyRN!

I would guess that your phone has been rooted at some time in the past as it is on the very, very, old Android 4.4.4, NK2, firmware and should have been forcefully updated by now to Android 6.0.1, unless it was rooted.

In a nutshell, to root the Verizon NK2 firmware, you need to replace the kernel with the older NCG kernel using Odin, and then use TowelRoot to root and then you need to flash the NK2 kernel via Odin and install SuperSU. Finally, check you are rooted using Root Checker. All this is shown in the video below...

WARNING: Rooting is for competent users and can, "brick", your phone if carried out improperly. Backup all your user data, prior to rooting. The key to rooting is... read, read, read, Google search, Google search, Google search.

In case of problems with flashing and rooting, here is the stock Verizon firmware for NK2 that you can flash to your phone via Odin by following the instructions and video contained in the links of #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. This will at least, return you to unrooted stock Verizon firmware.

Model SM-G900V
Model name GALAXY S5
Country USA (Verizon)
Version Android 4.4.4
Changelist 3196895
Build date Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:33:49 +0000
Security Patch Level N/A
Product code VZW
PDA G900VVRU1ANK2
CSC G900VVZW1ANK2

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. You may be right about the rooting at some point. I guess i did not go thorough it. I chickened out! Since buying this phone years ago, i have never used it since i am quiet happy with my LG G4. I was gonna give this to my mom because she uses one of those FREE 3G government phone only. I will try to follow the video u sent. Thanks a lot for your help. Truly appreciate it!

Upvote 0

The bold is why I would say.............don't do it. If you are clueless, there is a great chance you will screw up something major if you are rooted. Rooted is usually only recommended for techy geeks (and I use that term endearingly here) :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
@ironass I did it!!! Wow, can't believe I rooted my G5!!! The steps were very simple and easy to follow. I downloaded everything first then follow the steps on the video. Now that my G5 is rooted, what is the next steps or any important steps i need to do with my rooted phone? Is it possible to update to the latst Marshmallow 6.0? Like how do i get custom rom? So many question....sorry if i am such a bother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ironass I followed the steps on Flashfire when installation is completed, it was supposed to go to DOWNLOAD mode. But for some reason, it got stuck on the Red Verizon logo screen. So i turned it off, did the manual download mode (Home, volume down, power) but for some reason it wont connect to my computer via usb so i could do the next step. Did i do something wrong?
Plus, when i reboot, there was a message saying "System software not authorize by Verizon has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest Verizon store for help"

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones