• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with blocking app

xorro

Lurker
Mar 31, 2022
Hi,

I am in need of help as i am not an android developer but just a normal user. I use pihole, adguardhome and nextdns. i want to block an app from working on my home network.
App Name: Bigo
I have sniffed it's traffic and got URL's from that sniffing which i have blocked via nextdns.io and adguard but still app is working. If there is anyone who have got time to help me then please review the app code of Bigo and guide me what else am i missing to block it's working on my home network. I am providing URL list which i have blocked and still unsuccessful. These URL were came in sniffing logs via httpwatch and noxplayer.

*.sharemasala.com
*.bigo.live
*.bigo.sg
*.bigo.tv
*.bglvconf1.azureedge.net
*.bglvconf2.azureedge.net
*.bglvconf3.azureedge.net
*.sgmbocast.com
*.kzhi.tech
*.bigolive.tv

Non of above mentioned urls are accessible from my home network but app is still working. if anyone can investigate and help me with any other url or ip to block that will be great. Thank you

Bigo is a live streaming service and app for gaming isn't it? Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why would you want to block it from accessing the internet, i.e. the Bigo servers? The URLs you posted I guess are for Bigo's CDN. If you're not interested in using Bigo's live streaming service, just uninstall Bigo from your phone or tablet?

Besides using a firewall, the only other way I know to block certain servers, is to add the unwanted URLs to the hosts-file. However that can't be done unless the Android device is rooted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@mikedt You can remove it from your device but not rest of the family. Why i want to block it? Well this is something called parental control. I want to be able to take control of it's working so when i want kids to study i can kill it with 1 click instead of asking every family member to remove it..

it sounds like you'd need to do something with the WiFi network itself, i.e. the router, rather than the phones. And really the only thing I can think of for that would be OpenWrt, running on a compatible router. https://openwrt.org/
OpenWrt can be configured in many ways, including blocking selected URLs, blocking IP ports, etc.

Although if the kids install a VPN on their devices, they can probably get around any network blocks and/or firewalls. Which is something I do all the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones