• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need recommendations for inexpensive Android phone that can be used for games via wifi.

wickedC

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
Hello. I would like to know what phone(s) would be good for playing games on with wifi access only at a price range of <$80, either new or used on the bay. This is for my 6 year old son. At a later date this phone may be used for listening to music- mp3 and radio, texting, phone calls via wifi, posting to facebook, etc. The wifi connection will be WPA2 only, but may be other types when we travel, so it would have to be good with all wifi types. Basically, what would be good to use instead of an ipod touch. He wants one for games, but I think I can do better and cheaper with an Android based phone and just get the games from Google Play. Thank you.

Hello wickedC!
The first one that comes to my mind, (probably a biased opinion b/c it's my old device) is the Evo4G. I don't know how much they are going for now on ebay, but perhaps you can check out the classisfied section on this forum here:
Classifieds - Android Forums

Or, if I make up my mind one of these days, I could sell you mine. Its in pristine condition, rooted and there is a rom made for it that enables it to be used as a media player only.:p

Anyhoo, that's my opinion :)

Upvote 0
Ok thanks a bunch on that one. I went to Target and got a couple at that price, then went to Office Max and got a couple 8GB microsdhc cards for them. All I can say is wow. These phones are pretty cool and will replace an Ipod touch perfectly. I was a little hesitant to get them at first because of the single core CPU, and thought videos/movies/games would be skippy- but no- actually runs just fine. Another plus is that there are not any activation nag screens that pop up (every few minutes)- another thing that I was afraid of. I have them set to airplane mode with wifi on and battery life seems to be great. Again - Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones