• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need some advice on which device to buy`

Gerane

Lurker
Apr 13, 2010
I will finally be able to make the switch to android in February. Finally will be out of my 2 year contract.

I have been wanting an android since the G1, and finally will be making the switch. I am trying to stay on a budget, and cricket is the way to go for me right now.

I am trying to decide between the Huawei Ascend and buying a used Droid and flashing it to cricket. There are ups and downs to both that have me stumped. I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have done similar. I am also considering the Zio, but i'll have to research it a bit more. Running 1.6 worries me.

Some of the things i'm having a hard time with are as follows:

Ascend
Pros
Brand New
Great price
Automatically works on Cricket

Cons
haven't been able to find any roms etc.
This could possibly mean no 2.2
from what ive heard its cheaper feeling.

Droid
Pros
The price has dropped for a used device. Have been seeing them for around 150
has a huge following for roms etc
Coolness of it being a droid

Cons
I have to flash it to work on cricket
its used, what if it doesnt work properly or dies because of its age shortly after i buy it.

I'm stuck in the middle where i'm currently sitting. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have either. I'm sure i'm forgetting some factors that could really play a part in my decision.

also, on a side note... I'm decently knowledgeable with the technical aspects of rooting etc. I have yet to own a Droid, but have jailbroken and modified my ipod touch, modded xboxs and the like. I catch on quick and have always naturally bee good with these types of things. So, i'm pretty positive I wouldn't have much problem flashing the droid to fully work on cricket without having to pay someone

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones