• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need some help, switching to the S4.

Muilisx

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2011
Long Island, NY
Long story short, I bought a Hot Dog Truck. I currently have an S3 with MetroPCS. However, at the spot the truck is at is a major dead spot for me. My service goes in and out, and data is useless making my days quite long with nothing to do internet wise on my phone. I ported my number to AT&T on my Uncle's account and bought an S4 for $79.99 on a $50 plan with unlimited text and talk and 5GB of data which is more than enough as I'm ALWAYS on wifi when I'm at the house so the 5GB would be strictly for the hours I'm on the truck which honestly is more than enough data. Anyway, I backed up my phone with Kies but I have a feeling Kies won't let me restore the S3 file onto the S4 as it's a different device.

I DO NOT care about apps as I can download those easily, I don't care about pictures, and videos as I already backed that up via drag and drop. I also backed up my contacts with Kies, but again, I have a feeling Kies will yell at me upon trying to restore AT LEAST the contacts onto my S4. I have Metro backup but that only works with Metro on a Metro phone so I'm SOL there. I currently have NO SERVICE on my S3 because AT&T took ownership of the number so now until I receive the new phone, and activate it, I have no phone. Basically, is there any free app out there where I can backup my contacts and restore them on the new phone? I know I can export them into a Contacts.vcf file but that also exports all these annoying emails and shit into my contacts which I don't want. I strictly just want the phone numbers and nothing else. I found Smart Switch online which seems it would work well over BT but just not 100% sure as I never used it and I really don't feel like typing in over 100 phone numbers manually. I'm sure there's a way so I figured I would ask. I build computers on the side for fun so I'm definitely tech savy. I just haven't been in this situation before so any help would be appreciated.

I should have my new S4 on AT&T tomorrow or Wednesday and I'm quite excited. I actually had an S4 on MetroPCS before the S3 but I couldn't fathom $600 so I returned it, saved $200 and went with the S3 as I really didn't need the motion features the S4 offered but now since I only paid $79.99 for the black mist version of the S4, I couldn't resist. The s4 coming from the S3 is actually a major upgrade with resolution alone and I'm a big Netflix guy when I lay in bed on my phone so I can't want to experience the better picture and stuff. I'm also into Teen Wolf but I never catch it live so I usually download a HD copy once it hits Icefilms, and I xfer it onto my phone and watch it with headphones so now that will even look better. The IR blaster is a cool feature that I gave up that I can't wait to have again. That's pretty cool. Anyway, hopefully someone can give me a real simple solution to my contacts.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new phone. Gmail would be the best. That way when you move from phone to phone all you have to do is sign in. Sync in the settings accounts and google then gmail sync. To verify sign in on a PC into gmail, above compose hit gmail, contacts, verify. Once they are there just sign in on the S4 or you can use an SD card import and export

Upvote 0
Congrats on the new phone. Gmail would be the best. That way when you move from phone to phone all you have to do is sign in. Sync in the settings accounts and google then gmail sync. To verify sign in on a PC into gmail, above compose hit gmail, contacts, verify. Once they are there just sign in on the S4 or you can use an SD card import and export

I don't sync with gmail due to all the emails that sync as well. I've been using Metro Backup for my contacts but that doesn't help me now. Is there any other way besides gmail that is quick and easy and will ONLY transfer numbers and nothing else?

Upvote 0
How do you sign in to your phone without a google account ? (Gmail)

I have one, I just don't sync my Contacts with them.

SD card import and. Export

Again, that also exports all the emails too.

Looks like I'll give Smart Switch a shot.

Phone came today, charging it up, and then I'll activate it, and play around.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear it! Hope you enjoy your new phone!

Turns out Kies let me restore the backup from the s3 so I didn't have to fool around with anything.

I take that back lol. It would only let me restore Memos and Contacts. Well, all I wanted was Contacts but I tried to do the apps too but it wouldn't let me but it's all ok because I quickly downloaded all of them over wifi in less than 10 minutes, and then used my old phone to look at while I put all the shortcuts in the same spot. Everything is fine. I then drag and dropped all the stuff from the SD card I backed up back onto the SD card once it was inside the S4. I decided to format it just for the hell of it, and copied everything over fresh. So now when I access my gallery or the gallery through the camera, all my pics and vids are there. It's honestly almost as if I never changed phones lol.

I'm just waiting for Saturday for my case ( click ) as these cases are AWESOME. Every single Android device I've ever owned, I ALWAYS bought these same cases as out of all the cases I've tired on ebay, those above are BY FAR the best. The phone is nice and snug, and I've NEVER EVER had an issue with those cases. I highly recommend them for any Android phone as they make them for all of them now in many colors.

I'm going to Netflix on it soon for the first time, and I'm excited to experience the better display. Like I said, I had an S4 before with Metro for about a day or two, and then sent it back due to the $600 I really didn't have at the time. Metro only takes phones back in MINT PRISTINE condition with less than 60 minutes of talk time, and I only had like 15 minutes so I sent it back and bought the S3 for $400 and was very happy but due to the dead spot now I had to deal with from 10am-5pm everyday, I had no choice but to switch to AT&T. However, I was going to sell the S3 for about $300 as it's in PRISTINE condition but now I decided to hang on to it just in case I ever move back to FL, and get off of my Uncle's AT&T account, I'll be able to just activate the S3 on a new Metro account as service on Metro in South FL is MINT, and the 4G LTE speeds are quite good when on the unlimited $60 plan. Up here however, the terrain is so different, and it's just not the best provider up here. Since it's a family plan, or the account has quite a few lines, every line we add is much cheaper than an individual plan. Like, 1 GB of data is $60 on a individual plan, but on his account / plan, it's $30 for 3GB, $50 for 5GB and so on so I'm on the 5GB for $50 as 5GB is more than enough. I'm sure I won't go over it, and if I do, not a big deal. I'm ALWAYS on WIFI in the house so it's mainly for when I'm on the Hot Dog Truck so it's plenty.

I will indeed enjoy it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones