• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need trail gps nav app like garmin oregon or

My needs are simple.

1) Topo or terrain maps (topo preferred).
2) The ability to cache maps.
3) Real time gps tracks.
4)ability to record tracks.

Will it do that?

Yes it will do those things with no problem.

1. At this time it uses scans of real topo maps so the quality is not as good as it could be. They are working on getting topos from Customized Topo Maps, Aerial Photos, and Hybrids | MyTopo.com, but I don't know the time frame or if it will happen for sure . . . you can also download satelitte maps the same way. Many on their forum would like the Google terrain maps but apparently Google doesn't license them for mobile devices.

2. Yes, you must go to the area you want while you have a data connection and pan around. It caches maps in the background. You must zoom in to the level you will want later and pan around. They are working to make it easier to cache maps. Their plan (from their forum) is to use their online editor and select the area you want and then download it.

3. yes

4. Yes - - I think it's a little weird how it works but it works. They have a lot of different categories and depending on what you're doing the tracks are stored in there. It's hard to explain, you might need to just try it.

Make sure you check the options on each page (tab) some are well hidden.

Matt

Upvote 0
Just a heads up, but I found a new app that looks like exactly what we've been looking for. It is called "Trimble Outdoors". I found it purely by accident while signing up for a hiking forum.

Trimble Outdoors for Android - Travel

Trip planning, GPS navigation, fitness training using a GPS-enabled mobile phone or a GPS receiver.

It's $9.99 in market. I am flat broke until I get my paycheck on Friday, but this weekend is supposed to be *cough* nice (as far as this hellhole state is concerned anyway... 60 degrees.) so I will gladly be trying it out this weekend if everyone wants to wait for a guinea pig... Or you can try it out yourself.

I'm pretty psyched, actually.

This looks promising... Did you notice there is a $5.99 per month charge for service ? $9.99 plus monthly fee is almost $100 per year to use this.

BackCountry Nav. is releasing their Android this summer.

Garmin is working on Android for their phone also.

Will be interesting to see what hits the market over the next year or so.

The main thing is we know it's around the corner and getting better.

Thanks everyone and Please post any new info. about Android GPS Nav.

Upvote 0
This looks promising... Did you notice there is a $5.99 per month charge for service ? $9.99 plus monthly fee is almost $100 per year to use this.

BackCountry Nav. is releasing their Android this summer.

There is no subscription fee. The $5.99/mo is for use of their app on a dumb phone. Android powered devices are a whole new game.

Backcountry Nav has an estimated release of May, but anyone on their android mailing list will be receiving a beta version sooner. Nathan will be working on it next week when he gets back home.

Reactions: stkshooter
Upvote 0
There are no subscription fees on the android. Here is a link where it's mentioned. Forums -> Trimble Outdoors

Your right, thank you. I missed that very important bit of info. Maybe they should have put it in red like below : )

Supported Phone Models, Applications, and Purchasing Instructions for Sprint/Nextel Phones

Priced from $5.99/month - $9.99/month
Android phones are a one time purchase.

Upvote 0
i posted this in another thread there are a few steps but not too bad. When i seen that i had to bascially calibrate maps for Orux, i gave up. After looking and looking i did this. This just requires selecting downloading then putting on your card, no funky terminal command or other rubbish.
Backcountry looks great, cannot wait to try, but in the mean time...

[FONT=&quot]You need two programs one for your desktop to download the Maps, then one to use on your Android device.

There is this program Trek Buddy
TrekBuddy - J2ME application for GPS tracking

There is a video there to show you how to use it, i would take a look. You Select the type of map from the drop down (MS hybrid, Google, Google Terrain ect) then highlight the area you want select the zoom levels, give it a name if you want, then export to "Mavrick Atlas Format" It can take a while! That will put it in the folder with the program for me it was...
Desktop\TrekBuddy_Atlas_Creator_1.6 beta 5\atlases
Look @ where your going and you can change map views of the area your zoomed into. I was surprised that Microsoft has very nice hybrid maps of where i was going.

On your Android device, download Maverick Maps (yes its in the app store)
Maverick - GPS navigation for Android with offline maps support.

This program once you open it and start to view maps automatically caches the maps. What i did was click on the "maps" button in the program and select MS hybrid, and zoomed around. this created a folder on my phone For me it was
M:\maverick\tiles\microsoft_hybrid *then a bunch of numbered folders (for the zoom level)
Then you just copy and paste from the trek buddy folder to your android folder and when you open the program it is as if you cached it! After i copied all this, i put phone in airplane mode and bam all of Death Valley was there! Super fast too Then if you used say google maps there is another folder in maverick for that, and you change the maps(Google maps, google terrain, MS Hybrid, MS maps) by selecting the "maps" button and changing. I have MS hybrid and google maps now of the entire Death Valley with 7 zoom levels, you can select and mix and match to your liking!

[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Go to Google maps web pages and play with terrain view..... its shows all the mtns and as you zoom in it will show the elevations layers and all.
Trek Buddy works with just about every mapping website with all the view, not just street and satellite. From the Drop down menu you can select, Google Terrain, which is basically topo. And in my post i purposely mentioned that trek buddy does they hybrid terrain and standard maps.

Upvote 0
Go to Google maps web pages and play with terrain view..... its shows all the mtns and as you zoom in it will show the elevations layers and all.
Trek Buddy works with just about every mapping website with all the view, not just street and satellite. From the Drop down menu you can select, Google Terrain, which is basically topo. And in my post i purposely mentioned that trek buddy does they hybrid terrain and standard maps.

Google maps doesn't offer half the tools the OP was looking for. You can't even record tracks with it.

Also, google terrain isn't really that close to Topo. It is unfortunate, since terrain is easier to read, but it isn't nearly as helpful. :(

Upvote 0
Google maps doesn't offer half the tools the OP was looking for. You can't even record tracks with it.

Also, google terrain isn't really that close to Topo. It is unfortunate, since terrain is easier to read, but it isn't nearly as helpful. :(

True, additionally, the OP didn't directly state but implied that the software should be offline capable (similar to the Garmin units)

Upvote 0
I just downloaded and installed the Back Country Navigator Android beta version. I like it.

The map download process is much more user friendly than the old WM version and for that matter, easier any other off road GPS Nav program I have used, although I am glad I watched the youtube video on their website as the on screen icons were not immediately intuitive, but now that I know what they are they are simple and intuitive.

Also for some reason my on screen icons are different than those in the tutorial video even though I have a G1.

Upvote 0
True, additionally, the OP didn't directly state but implied that the software should be offline capable (similar to the Garmin units)

What part of i used it in airplane mode implies that is it not offline capable? Did you read the post?

Trek Buddy requires online access with your PC to download the types of maps you want(could be google terrain, or google maps, Microsoft hybrids, satellite view), then copied to your android device once copied there it is there when you do not have internet access. Maverick on the device will read those folders and have all the zoom levels you choose to download all there offline.

Upvote 0

Yea, this is not google maps, Trek buddy just downloads maps from Google, or microsofts whichever version of them you want, and just the area and zooms you select. Then you use Maverick on your device to view them. Google is not directly invovled. Yes it does recording, if you click on the link for maverick it shows all the features. it records and tracks then will share that via GPSie. It does all the 4 things you listed. Just has the terrain instead of the official Topos.

Reactions: codesector
Upvote 0
What part of i used it in airplane mode implies that is it not offline capable? Did you read the post?

Trek Buddy requires online access with your PC to download the types of maps you want(could be google terrain, or google maps, Microsoft hybrids, satellite view), then copied to your android device once copied there it is there when you do not have internet access. Maverick on the device will read those folders and have all the zoom levels you choose to download all there offline.

Sorry, I should have said "offline capable and all features in one program". The OP specifically stated he/she didn't want to use one program to download and then another to view/track. I think most of us know how to do that with multiple programs, but how does one program (Trek Buddy) load the map (online), view the map (offline) and track the users location (offline). Again, using only one program. OP, if I am not accurate in your original intent, please chime in.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah Maverick rocks. It does do Google Terrain. It doesn't do Topo (yet). For the time being I have Maverick and Orux loaded on my phone. I use Orux for Topo maps and Maverick for almost everything else.

I recently used Maverick and preloaded some wide zoom maps then activated my GPS from an airplane. Followed the whole trip home until I had to switch it off for landing. Pretty cool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones