• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Needing a New Phone

Bob Reboot

Lurker
Jan 22, 2023
Hi
Please help me find a new phone.
I was hoping to spend about £250 to buy outright, no contracts.
I noticed that the Google Pixel 6a was available for a little over £300 so I might stretch to a little over £300
for something special ie something that's great value and highly recommended.
My needs :)
I have two PAYG SIMs so I need an unlocked phone with Dual SIM capability. I have just found out about eSIM's (through reading up on the Pixel 6a) but it seems (I hope I'm wrong) you have to sign up and pay monthly for an eSIM, you can't simply use it with a SIM you already have.
I need 5G and I rate quick and long lasting charging over camera capabilities.
As I'm deaf, I need clear and loud calls, and hopefully, good quality and loud music playback.
I reckon all modern screens would be fine, but nothing small or large! Just average size.
I have a Motorola One which I believe has a 5.9" screen. Slightly bigger would be fine.
I do my smart-phoning on a budget and will be keeping it a while. I've had the Motorola One a couple of years and I'd keep it another couple but the call quality isn't great and I've heard that strangely (correct me if I'm wrong) that 4G will not handle calls soon, and if your phone isn't 5G then your calls will go through 3G and hence, lose some quality.
Oh - I'm getting on a bit so ease of use could be an issue (unlikely with an Android I know but just don't want any new-fangled complicated tech)
Thank you for helping.

.... also as you're in the UK like me
These are two good run downs although I don't agree with some because of age, availability and prices have either improved or gone up, plus new models are available.

I'm hooked on Xiaomi / Poco / Redmi products available here and the Xiaomi Store app is worth downloading. Coupons, daily reductions etc. £5 using the app etc

The recent Poco F4 (128gb) I would heartily recommend was 329 yesterday before coupon reduction of £20 - 25.
Redmi Note 11 5G also very good but new mid range chipset.
Do you need a wired 3.5mm headphone connection?

I have a Poco F2 Pro for 2.5 years and the speaker is excellent, and is superb all around.

You will have to decide but ask any questions.

Upvote 0
.... also as you're in the UK like me
These are two good run downs although I don't agree with some because of age, availability and prices have either improved or gone up, plus new models are available. snip..

Haha I love his Geordie "there's pretty much bugger all to complain about".
a great recommendation!

Upvote 0
Hi. Yes Tech Spurt is very enjoyable if you don't mind some rude but well meaning innuendo!

I'm sure you misread or misheard about Android 9** on the Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G (careful with the many similar model names, 4g, Redmi Note 11, Redmi Note 11 Pro Plus 5G)

(** Yeh definitely a mistake on Amazon's site.)

Unusually Xiaomi have raised or not discounted their models much since around November, so they're not greatly priced atm especially Redmi.
Keep checking their store app if you are keen.

The Poco F4 is far superior overall, in hardware and support. There are other brands with the SD695 chipset that may be better than the Note 11 Pro 5G at that price. I won't go through all their models here, but the Poco X4 Pro 5G was well under £200 for a time (same phone, different body)

The Pixel 6a is a great bet overall in the long term. I have no experience of it but read the reviews as to how it relates to your needs.

The superceded Samsung Galaxy A52S 5g is also a great phone if you can find one new. The newer A53 is a drop down in performance and features imv.

Two separate sites are recommended on these forums. On Phone Arena they have terrific features comparisons you can feed in, as well as physical sizes you can compare on a monitor. I don't have time atm for that link and a better description!

GSMArena will give you the full specs as well as the launch date of a model which is important for longevity. They have also written great online reviews over the years, and their You Tube video reviews are equally good. Both are linked in the specs page.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_11_pro_5g-11333.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_poco_f4-11627.php

https://xiaomiui.net/update-support-of-new-xiaomi-phones-have-been-announced-9973/

https://trust.mi.com/misrc/updates/phone?tab=policy

ADDED: Yes I forgot Amazon also sometimes do better prices when a model is not discounted direct via Xiaomi, while still being from the official? Amazon Xiaomi Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Well, after to speaking to a couple of people, I've decided that a good camera should be moved up the priority list, and also I can afford to spend a bit more. Oh - also, as I spend a lot more time looking at the screen on internet, more than talking and texting and listening to music - screen seems more important now.
I've had the HONOR 70 - 128 GB strongly recommended mainly due to it's camera and screen at £349 but also
OPPO Reno8 5G - 256 GB has very similar spec, is the same price but has twice the memory. (also, possibly, this has a memory slot where the Honor doesn't seem to).
I'm erring towards the Oppo.
Please tell me if this is a mistake :)
Would I get a better phone for the money? (£350 is absolute max)
Very Many Thanks for helping.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones