• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nephew pushes me along with phone into pool

irmac

Android Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Hey so I got pushed in the pool today with my Droid X :/ It's completely broken (i.e. no cell coverage, sd card broken, battery life, camera blurry, etc.) and my question is, will best buy give me a new one? I preordered the phone, picked it up on the 15th and paid for the 10 dollars a month insurance plan which the sales rep told me covered almost everything. Please tell me they will be able to get me a replacement :?
Thanks in advance,
IRM

The Best Buy plan is NOT insurance, it's an extended warranty. It's called the 'Product Exchange Plan', or PEP. Basically, if your phone normally broke (like let's say the camera stopped zooming) that would be manufacturer defect. Normally you'd have to take it back to your carriers store, they'd ship it to Motorola, who would either fix it or ship you a new device, etc, etc. It takes a while. With Best Buys PEP, you take any phone in with a manufacturers defect and they give you an entirely new device (once you prove the defect, of course) for free the same day, and you walk out all fine and dandy within like 30 minutes. This lasts for the entirety of your contract (usually). It only covers whatever the carrier covers which is manufacturing defects. Only Asurion covers user damage or water damage. You will have to purchase another phone.

Also, you had a chance (not a great one mind you) to put the phone in rice and let it drain the water out without damaging the phone, but clearly since the camera's blurry and everything, that means you turned it on before it's dried out, so now it's just a matter of time until the water hits a few wrong circuits and completely fries it.

Sorry, dude.

Upvote 0
Sounds like he was really trying to pitch it. Best Buy employees don't earn commission, but they do earn bonuses based on how many PEPs they sell per week / month / year.

You can try, but I've had the PEP plan for a year now, and they always check the water damage sticker. I asked why, they said if it's ever pink, it's not their problem anymore.

Also, when you put it in rice you're supposed to take the battery out so it doesn't turn on automatically. :p

Upvote 0
Best of luck. I seriously hope they do too, but just be ready for the chance that you might have to purchase a new device.

Again, condolences for your loss. We all know how much our Droids mean to us. :(

Also, make sure to keep us updated on if they do give you a new device or not! Hopefully you can get a sympathetic Best Buy clerk that might look the other way. (I've had this a few times before when 'changing' to a newer device off a 'warranty' issue ;))

Upvote 0
Best success I've had reviving drowned phones is taking it apart as much as possible (sometimes means removing screws) and putting it in my oven on the LOWEST SETTING possible. Which in my oven is zer since the pilot light keeps it pretty warm. Don't touch for as long as possible. DAYS if you can wait. I've revived 5-6 phones this way with a very high success rate.

Oh, and I don't mean microwave oven.

Edit:
Crap it's pink...well actually the phone one is fine, just the battery one is pink. I'm really just hoping they replace this bad boy :/

BUY A NEW BATTERY AND BRING IT IN!!

Upvote 0
If anyone cares, I went into the closest Best Buy and sat down with the manager. He was really friendly, didn't question me once and ordered a replacement. Black tie insurance (10 bucks a month) does cover any accidents such as screen cracks, water damage, etc. and if you bought your phone and BB I would recommend it to anyone. Now I can only wait for my new one :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones