• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Touch Screen is Totally Freaking Out

eleusis211

Lurker
Mar 28, 2016
I have had my Motorola Droid MAXX for a little over six months now and I have had no problems until yesterday. With no warning the touch screen started completely freaking out. Opening random apps, bottom bar not working, hitting icons...without actually touching anything. It has been doing it for over a day now. Hitting the sleep button will stop it for maybe a minute then it comes back. It has made my phone almost totally unusable.

I feel like I have tried everything, including going into Recovery Mode and performing a Hard Reset. So I took the phone to Verizon because it is still under warranty and they say that they cannot replace it because there is a small hairline crack along part of the screen. This is ridiculous. The phone hasn't been dropped in months and the small crack is totally unrelated to the screen freaking out.

So what can I do? I feel like I am totally out of a phone that should be covered by warranty. I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a new phone when I just got this upgrade six months ago. What are my options?

A small crack in the screen is probably very much related to the screen "freaking out" in my experience, like the digitizer layer is damaged and now malfunctioning. Replacement screen is only thing that can be done with it. Many phones these days, the front glass, digitizer layer and LCD is one assembly, that must be replaced whole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I did some research and the front glass assembly is separate from the rest of the LCD and is only about $25. So I will purchase the assembly and install it on my phone. I don't think it will fix the problem as I am still almost positive they aren't related. But at least this way I can take it to a different Verizon store and they won't have cause to deny a warranty replacement.

Thanks again for the idea, I'll let you know how it works out.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I did some research and the front glass assembly is separate from the rest of the LCD and is only about $25. So I will purchase the assembly and install it on my phone. I don't think it will fix the problem as I am still almost positive they aren't related. But at least this way I can take it to a different Verizon store and they won't have cause to deny a warranty replacement.

Thanks again for the idea, I'll let you know how it works out.
If you are a first-time repair person, your easiest bet is to replace the whole assembly. Look for something that says assembly, and includes the frame. Replacing individual parts requires specialized experience. You will be paying more for the all in one assembly, but will be saving loads and loads of hassle.

Upvote 0
I had an occasional flicker in low brightness with no visible damage. Replaced the assembly, problem solved.
Today, full assembly with frame will run about $70. You'll need to carefully cut out the off button, and slowly pry out the ear speaker at the frame (give the adhesive time to let go) to reuse both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones