• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mobimop

Feb 14, 2010
Is Netflix available for honeycomb yet? I remember reading this press release last January that Netflix was working on it... I know the folks running Gingerbread are able to get it running. Anyone see any updates from Netflix/Google/Nvidia?

"Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix experience to Android super phones and tablets. We're working closely with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra's outstanding acceleration and security capabilities."

-- Greg Peters, Vice President, Product Development at Netflix

NVIDIA Tegra Super Chip Kicks Up Next Wave of Super Phones - NVIDIA Newsroom

Is Netflix available for honeycomb yet? I remember reading this press release last January that Netflix was working on it... I know the folks running Gingerbread are able to get it running. Anyone see any updates from Netflix/Google/Nvidia?

"Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix experience to Android super phones and tablets. We're working closely with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra's outstanding acceleration and security capabilities."

last i checked, netflix for android is only available on select android phones. Some people who rooted their android device were able to get netflix to work outside those select phones. As for tablets, i read its a no-show for awhile.

Upvote 0

Not panned out so far, so seems like typical marketing smack.

Upvote 0
Well some good news, I found the Netflix blog and they are working very hard it seems to get Android and Netflix working together. Here are the currently supported Android devices as of 5/23:

The Netflix app runs on these phones:
1. HTC Incredible with Android 2.2
2. HTC Nexus One with Android 2.2, 2.3
3. HTC Evo 4G with Android 2.2
4. HTC G2 with Android 2.2
5. Samsung Nexus S with Android 2.3.

Upvote 0
Its all chip related apparently. They are only releasing it for phones powered by chips that support a specific type of DRM for now, once they get it tweaked for the other chips then they will release it one the market for those phones.

With multiple devices running the tegra 2 I cant imagine it will be much longer because there has to be plenty of pressure to get it on that platform. It works great on my Evo, the app is rudimentary but the playback is great.

Upvote 0
I'm sure they are really upset they annoyed you. But I think they were a bit more concerned about the millions using phones not running this particular chipset as opposed to the hundreds of thousands of tablets out there running tegra 2.

WTF is wrong with some people. I'm not saying they should be upset. I'm just saying it's annoying for me because I want to watch netflix on it. Don't get all bent out of shape now.

I'm still waiting on Netflix for my TBolt as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones