• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Android owner. Y330

NeilP

Lurker
Apr 8, 2015
Hi All

As my first post, I m going to come across as a bit negative...sorry, but I just can not think of anything positive to say about this new phone I have been given as a work phone.

I did make an initial mistake, but starting to delete apps I don't need, things like Games and remove Widgets from the screen.

This is a work phone so don't need or want games. So one of the first things I deleted was Google Play.
But it turns out , if I am correct, that Google Play actually is not games related at all, it is in fact something to do with installing apps. Is that correct?

So maybe if someone can give me some pointers, on how to solve two major issues, as I can't find anything that works on the net so far.

It is a Y330 with Android 4.2.2

Major issue is when using it as a phone, it is almost useless.

The damn touch sensitive screen....arrrggggh as soon as you are in a phone call and bring the phone to your ear, you either touch the Red "hang up button" the Mute button or the Speaker phone button with your ear or cheek.

So as a phone it is almost impossible to make a phone call in one attempt.

Second annoyance is that it is a company phone, supplied by my work, which is located in the UK. I live in Jersey, which is not in the UK.
It is on constant Roaming. It will always be on roaming and the company are happy with that. So I don't need a reminder every phone call telling me I am roaming.

I have searched the menus and can't find any way to turn this off.
A few threads I have found about this may well be for different firmware versions, as the menus they refer to are not available. Sorry I can't remember which menus they are now, I was at work when I tried .

The minor issue with it is its speed and sluggishness . You press a button and there is no feedback for a few seconds to say anything has happened..some times this is because nothing has happened, because the screen has not responded, or some time sit is because the unit is catching up ..so you press again ,and then a string of random commands get executed.

I don't need it for games, only business use, so Phone and a few select Aviation Apps and PPS CrewBriefing and AeroWeather Pro. Crewbriefing wont install because of a signing issue.

Not got the Work Exchange server e-mail set up yet, as it asks for the domain and I am not sure what that is. Awaiting a reply form our IT people.

Any help with these issues appreciated,

thanks

Neil

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones