• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Bionic, what to do

tgulch22

Android Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2010
Perrysburg, OH
Ok I ordered my bionic and should be here wednesday. I want to root it. I have been reading threads here and at rootzwiki and with all the different updates everyone is on and running I am very lost on the process for rooting. I am not new to rooting, had an Eris and fascinate both rooted and had no issues.

I am certain the phone will come with the newest OTA on it, so I am not sure what method to use to root it and keep the latest (.901?) update on it.

I saw this method and am curious if it is the one I should follow.
Easy way to update to .901 rooted - RootzWiki

Any help would be appreciated. I have read so many stickies and threads and I have no idea which one would apply to my scenario.

Ok I ordered my bionic and should be here wednesday. I want to root it. I have been reading threads here and at rootzwiki and with all the different updates everyone is on and running I am very lost on the process for rooting. I am not new to rooting, had an Eris and fascinate both rooted and had no issues.

I am certain the phone will come with the newest OTA on it, so I am not sure what method to use to root it and keep the latest (.901?) update on it.

I saw this method and am curious if it is the one I should follow.
Easy way to update to .901 rooted - RootzWiki

Any help would be appreciated. I have read so many stickies and threads and I have no idea which one would apply to my scenario.

.901 was released but not to everyone. It will probably come with 5.5.893 or at least ask you to upgrade to it when you start it up. The easiest method to root .893 is the modified releashed and forever root by tehsusenoh. You just extract the file and choose option 2. you can get the file here. R3l3AS3DRoot_Windows_V2.1 - modded zergRush - Minus.com

The whole thread is here http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...ll-things-root-guide-updated-11-1-11-a-4.html it is a good thread for emergency's.

When you are done check out the custom rom thread here. http://androidforums.com/bionic-all-things-root/441018-bionic-roms.html

Reactions: tehsusenoh
Upvote 0
Ok this is what I got out of this.

Forever root with that program.

Then if I want .901 I can follow the steps in the link I provided.

Then install bootstrap.apk to get a CWM recovery.

Then using CWM I can install the custom ROM's that I choose. (If I use .901 I need to make sure the ROM I choose is .901 compliant or patched.)

And if I ever want to unroot and stock it then I can use the RSD Lite with the stock files.

Now the only question I have is a very noob question, but how do you do the fastboot to get into stock recovery (ie getting the .901 if I so choose)

Upvote 0
Ok this is what I got out of this.

Forever root with that program.

Then if I want .901 I can follow the steps in the link I provided.

Then install bootstrap.apk to get a CWM recovery.

Then using CWM I can install the custom ROM's that I choose. (If I use .901 I need to make sure the ROM I choose is .901 compliant or patched.)

And if I ever want to unroot and stock it then I can use the RSD Lite with the stock files.

Now the only question I have is a very noob question, but how do you do the fastboot to get into stock recovery (ie getting the .901 if I so choose)

With the phone off hold volume down and power button at the same time will get you into fastboot.

Holding both volume up and down at the same time and power will bring up a menu. volume down to change to recovery and volume up to select.

Here is a good post about all the menu's from power off. http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/421050-post-your-tips-bionic-here.html#post3725877

Reactions: tgulch22
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones