• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New desk dock that utilizes the charging pins!!!

Well its not an official dock, as in its not made by htc, but appears to work well in the vid. The phone does seem to sit pretty lose in it, but its not a swivel dock, so not a big issue. Over all i'd say it looks decent. I still want htc to bring something to the table, though.

*update
It is not out yet. It will be released March 15th for $29.95. Looks like the price is right!

Upvote 0
Did you notice how the guy pushes on the phone each time he docks it. Since the weight of the phone is the only pressure on the contacts I won't be surprised if this thing has unstable connections with the phone. I don't expect this will work reliably in a moving car. Might be imagining though :)

Upvote 0
I think this is more of a desk dock than a car dock. I would imagine a car dock to have some sort of latching to counter the whole weight problem.
Will the "DeskDock" app notice the pin connection? Or will the pins notify the DeskDock app? Or do I have to turn the DeskDock on every time I doc it? (I can't see the vid at work either.)

Tom P.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the OEM desk dock was such a disappointment (overpriced, ill-fitting, used the usb port, etc) that I've just been waiting for something exactly like this. This is like what I used for my Blackberry & it worked very well.

What is the big deal with everyone insisting on the desk docks using the charging pins instead of the USB port?? Is it because it turns on the Desk Clock app automatically? Is it really that big of a deal to set a shortcut on your desktop and simply touch the screen after it's seated in the dock?

Upvote 0
The USB port is not well suited for quick and easy connecting/disconnecting with a dock, and it could soon wear out or get damaged when used that way. This is why HTC designed the dock charge contacts on the side the way they did.

Exactly. It's easier to drop/pick up from a dock than connect/disconnect from the usb port.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones