1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tips New desk dock that utilizes the charging pins!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pantlesspenguin, Feb 14, 2011.

1. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Android Enthusiast

Advertisement

behold_this likes this.
  2. behold_this

behold_this Android Expert

Well its not an official dock, as in its not made by htc, but appears to work well in the vid. The phone does seem to sit pretty lose in it, but its not a swivel dock, so not a big issue. Over all i'd say it looks decent. I still want htc to bring something to the table, though.

*update
    It is not out yet. It will be released March 15th for $29.95. Looks like the price is right!

3. pantlesspenguin

Yeah, the OEM desk dock was such a disappointment (overpriced, ill-fitting, used the usb port, etc) that I've just been waiting for something exactly like this. This is like what I used for my Blackberry & it worked very well.

4. behold_this

The swivel/usb dock is not what I would consider an htc product, as it was only supported and marketed by tmo not htc, though it may have been manufactured by them at tmo's request much like the phone itself. I want to see a true htc dock for both the car and desk that uses the pins.

5. RTNV

RTNV Newbie

Did you notice how the guy pushes on the phone each time he docks it. Since the weight of the phone is the only pressure on the contacts I won't be surprised if this thing has unstable connections with the phone. I don't expect this will work reliably in a moving car. Might be imagining though :)

6. padillah

padillah Lurker

I think this is more of a desk dock than a car dock. I would imagine a car dock to have some sort of latching to counter the whole weight problem.
    Will the "DeskDock" app notice the pin connection? Or will the pins notify the DeskDock app? Or do I have to turn the DeskDock on every time I doc it? (I can't see the vid at work either.)

Tom P.

7. behold_this

It turns desk dock on automatically.

8. spoonard

spoonard Newbie

What is the big deal with everyone insisting on the desk docks using the charging pins instead of the USB port?? Is it because it turns on the Desk Clock app automatically? Is it really that big of a deal to set a shortcut on your desktop and simply touch the screen after it's seated in the dock?

9. Gruuvin

Gruuvin Lurker

The USB port is not well suited for quick and easy connecting/disconnecting with a dock, and it could soon wear out or get damaged when used that way. This is why HTC designed the dock charge contacts on the side the way they did.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
  10. pantlesspenguin

Exactly. It's easier to drop/pick up from a dock than connect/disconnect from the usb port.

11. GazaIan

GazaIan Member

The page is no longer available :(

But on the other hand, I really would love to have an accessory like that.. the current lack of accessories that utilize the charging pins make it seem like HTC put them there just because they could.

12. dasudevil

dasudevil Android Enthusiast

Just hit the mytouch4G dock on the left hand side.

13. CeePee33

CeePee33 Lurker

14. behold_this

Umm yeah...that doesn't use the docking pins (which is the whole point of this thread) or trigger dock mode, or support landscape mode. In short looks pretty wack IMO except for the spare battery charger.

15. vlin

vlin Lurker

16. behold_this

Doesn't come out til march 25th.
    Btw that dock is what this entire thread was started for and links have been posted to this thread for some time now.