• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New G1 Owner

Hello,

After a long search for a smartphone, I've decided on the T-Mobile G1. I got one used and unlocked on eBay and I finally got it yesterday. In order to activate it with my Google Account, I used this method to activate it over WiFi. Everything is now up and running just fine, but the phone is running Android 1.0, which is quite old.

Looking in the Market, I noticed it said the Market on this build of 1.0 is in beta, and a lot of the apps that I want to try are not available in the Market. Is this due to the phone running 1.0 and the apps only supporting newer Android versions (like 1.6 or 2.x)?

I want to upgrade to a newer version of Android, but it seems there are so many different custom ROMs and builds floating around that I'm a bit confused about. I want to be able to run 1.6 at the lowest, but 2.1 or 2.2 would be preferable.

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones