• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Game / New developer

My game, "Amnesia - Chapter 0 - Awake" is a week old, average rating 4.2, 2,500 downloads and no techie issues.

Amnesia - Ch 0 is a mystery adventure game demo with old style point and click controls. I only started with Java in my spare time 6 months back, so go easy on me. It's pretty short, but it was more an experiment than a serious release.

Trying to guage whether sequel is worth doing, majority of ratings are 5 star, but downloads have started to nosedive. Any tips on how to promote would be most welcome.

If posting this here is bad etiquette, my bad, sorry I won't do it again.
Screenshots below:

screen

http://s2.appbrain.com/screen?id=-7162893111327883479&i=2

Hi,

I downloaded your game and the start of it is very solid. To be honest I'm stuck though. I got all the memories. Found the key, got it stuck, tried to use the acetone, filled the bottle with water. I read the comments about a penny, and desk drawers. I'll try those.

I suggest making the pictures a little bigger, or using more contrast. I'm definitely interested in knowing how it ends, so I'll see it to the end.

About the downloads dipping off: I noticed with my own game that the downloads always spike on an update and dip off a few days later. Discussing with other developers we concluded that the only way to get noticed is to release frequent updates.

You might consider making a single game and updating it often with new chapters so that you gain attention.

I'll comment back more when I complete the game.

Upvote 0
One problem i noticed and maybe this is part of the "amnesia", but I was finding stuff(the key, etc), went to go do something in my real office, so I hit the button to turn off the screen, came back to the game and all the stuff I had found was gone.
Is this just part of the game or.......

At first, the game looks 'cheesy' but soon you find out there is much more to it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback, it's really encouraging and I think I'll have a bash at least one sequel.

Regarding updates, my plan was to release future chapters as stand alone applications. That way I can cross reference each chapter and hopefully get more market coverage.

I am planning a minor update this weekend to include limited ads, on the info/instructions screen and right at the end. As a sweetner I've put a few screenshots of chapter one when you complete the game. Do you think this is reasonable or am I likely to get slaughtered for it?

As for the game, I hadn't noticed the phone sleep bug, it wasn't intentional. Thanks for pointing it out, ill fix it in a future update.

Happy for objects to be reasonably difficult to see as I don't want the game to be too easy. Some objects/paths are red herrings as I think this is an element lacking in this genre.

Thanks for all the encouragement, Ill let you know how my update goes!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones