• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Gmail android app on phone - remove social and promotions

What Petrah wrote in post #23, here, is dead-on accurate.

I noticed the problem today; and got upset when I couldn't fix it in my phone's GMAIL app. So I Googled the problem and stumbled onto this thread. By the time I got down to post #11, here, it suddenly hit me that maybe deleting both cache and data in the GMAIL Android app would do it; but it didn't.

So then, based on a suggestion early-on in this thread, I made sure that my GMAIL account in the Windows browser agreed with what I was trying to do. I had, up to that point, only specified "Primary" in the little "Configure Inbox" area of what pops-open when you click on the gear thingy, above right; but I hadn't gone into "Settings" and actually started unchecking/disabling the various folders... one must do that, too! And then I went back to the Android app and cleared cache and data yet again...

...and THAT, alas, actually did it!

Then I kept reading this thread because, Mr. Smartypants that I can be, I thought that if no one had figured it out yet, I'd post, here, how to do it...

...only to finally make it down to Petrah's post #23 and see that she beat me to it.

[sigh] Oh, well. As they (you know... they) say, "Ya' snooze, ya' lose." [grin]

Gregg L. DesElms
Napa, California USA
gregg at greggdeselms dot com

Upvote 0
I am NOT happy about this at all. The ads are made to look like actual messages, except they don't have checkboxes on the left - there are X's on the right to remove them, but more come back the next time you log in.

I hear you!

Ads. I got so sick to death of ads and that is the soul specific reason why I rooted my phone. I won't and don't tolerate them on my computer, and I won't and don't tolerate them on my phone. I hate them. Loath them. Despise them. You have no idea.

Two words for you. Host file.

I run the same custom host file on my computer that I do on my phone. I never see ads. Ever. Id rather stick a red hot poker in my eye. Seriously.

Upvote 0
I hear you!

Ads. I got so sick to death of ads and that is the soul specific reason why I rooted my phone. I won't and don't tolerate them on my computer, and I won't and don't tolerate them on my phone. I hate them. Loath them. Despise them. You have no idea.

Two words for you. Host file.

I run the same custom host file on my computer that I do on my phone. I never see ads. Ever. Id rather stick a red hot poker in my eye. Seriously.

on most websites, I don't see ads at all (I use ad block plus with Firefox), but it doesn't seem to work on these ones. I'm open to trying anything, but I don't know much about host files.

Upvote 0
On the computer, with FX, you can get tab permissions. That allows you to turn off images on the fly, just like Opera. It will also turn off frames on the fly. I don't see the ads either. Adblock and NoScript.

Bing is in the Host file, so is Groupon. Everything that can be turned off in Google Dashboard, is.

Upvote 0
Host files are much much better. They block some pretty nasty stuff that can infect your computer, and they get blocked long before your browser ever opens. The less crap you have added to your browser, the better your browser will run.

Blocking parasites and unwanted connections with a host file. (Not to be confused with a virus scanner.. you still need one of those.)

That's the PC version... be sure to read everything as the directions are somewhat different depending on your version of Windows.

Be aware that this host file gets updated from time to time. I signed up for the email update notices so I know when to update the file.

Upvote 0
Host files are much much better. They block some pretty nasty stuff that can infect your computer, and they get blocked long before your browser ever opens. The less crap you have added to your browser, the better your browser will run.

Blocking parasites and unwanted connections with a host file. (Not to be confused with a virus scanner.. you still need one of those.)

That's the PC version... be sure to read everything as the directions are somewhat different depending on your version of Windows.

Be aware that this host file gets updated from time to time. I signed up for the email update notices so I know when to update the file.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones