• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New GW5

Abnsojer

Lurker
Jul 12, 2023
Just bought a Galaxy Watch 5 and interested in tips on how to do things like customize watch faces, track laps in the pool (accurately), track walking, hiking, biking, pickleball. And any other fun things you've learned. Now, I'm in no way an athelete, I just like to have fun, so not really interesting in being "THE BEST I CAN BEEEE!!" Just wanna know how I'm doing in a general sorta way like accurate lap counts, good duration time, calories counts, etc. Thanks!

Oh! Had a Gear 2, 3, Galaxy Watch previously and made faces on GWS. Not a newbie.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Hi there - welcome to Android Forums!

I bought the GW5 last year and LOVE it. I don't use it for sleep, but the battery life is certainly good for it (I've run it for three days without charging). There are plenty of tips & tricks on YewwwwTube to help you make the most of the watch, the way you want to use it. Before this I was a fan of the Montblanc Summit watches: when the 3 came out, I compared it to the Galaxy Watch 5 and it was far inferior and far more expensive. I don't regret it at all.

Not sure what sort of watchface you prefer, but I have the Black Metal HD face from DeNite Appz because it provides the classic look with the information I need at a glance.

Upvote 0
I've had these since the first round face came out. Gear3? Then the Gear 4 Frontier, then the Galaxy Watch (my latest one), and now the 5. Its LTE as a back up but I dont text or call alot. Just read and acknowledge. The Mark-1 Calibrated Eyeball isn't that good anymore. I want to count burned calories, distance biking and walking, laps swam, that sorta thing. I charge every night, though the old one would make 2+ days EZ. I'll check out the watch face but two I made on GSW say they'll transfer to Android so I'll try that first. I like customizing.

I'll have a glass of bourbon while this charges and I'll be fine. I just hate piss poor performance and there alot of that around lately. Old guy attitude...

Upvote 0
Hey, you & me both! We understand the principle of 7 P's. The Black Metal allows 3rd Party complications to a watch app, like Fit or Health, that can display your steps (although Google Fit told me I was doing a great job running... while seated aboard a jet aircraft flying at 350 MPH, so points off for assumptions)

:p

Upvote 0
Yes we do! I'm ending my first day and not to shabby. I do have one question for you - on my old one the pull down showed what connection I had along the bottom - stand alone or bluetooth. Now it just shows the date or TMobile but the app on my phone shows a BT connection. Is that correct or do I have a setting wrong?

Upvote 0
First day went good. Battery dropped pretty quickly when I went swimming in the morning but, as I usually do, I topped it up during my shower after and had over 50% left when I hit the sack at 11. I can live with that! Didn't use the maps, Google, or talk on it - I usually dont - so I'm good! Now if I'm can figure out WFS I'll be set!

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones