• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ****NEW OTA 4.67.651.3 is out DO NOT ACCEPT IT****

For ocnbrze: Hi, I'm new to this forum and you look like a pro. The forum will not let me start a new thread and I really need help. Even if you can repost this that would be awesome. My rooted HTC EVO 4G will no longer allow me to send or receive pictures via text. I need a rooted EVO genius. I have tried every fix on every forum. I took the battery out. I updated the profile and PRL. Have kept phone off for an hour with no battery. Have restarted it. My 3G is fine, I am not on WiFi. I tried Handcent, Big SMS, Chomp and a few other texting apps. None of them fix the problem. I do no2t have the app Quick Settings on my phone. The error message that pops up when people try to send pics to me is: message not downloaded, genetic network failure. The error message that pops up when I am trying to send pics to others is: unable to send message after multiple attempts, genetic network failure. My 3G is working, the coverage where I am is fine. I believe it has something to do with the settings on the phone. The phone is rooted. The only thing I have not done is a hard reset, which I was not sure about doing since it is rooted.

Noticed that the little sync icon that shows up at the top right of the phone (where the 3G icon show up) is always on. This started happening at the same time as the pictures not sending or receiving. Could this have something to do with it?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Upvote 0
Hi! Thanks for your reply! I did try Go SMS, that one didn't work either to fix the pictures not sending/receiving.

How do I go into recovery and wipe cache? I'm a step by step person...a friend of mine rooted my phone for me, so I'm a little lost when it comes to these issues.

In my regular sync I have Facebook for HTC Sense, Yahoo Mail, WhatsApp, and Weather. My Google Sync has not worked since I rooted it, which is fine cause I don't use it. I have both boxes checked in Sync: background data, and auto-sync. When I don't have both checked I get errors. Before I rooted I had downloaded HTC Sync to back up some photos. Maybe it is still on there and giving me problems? I don't know, all I know is the icon is there now all the time, and it wasn't there before at all times.

I did not downlaod any apps before this started, but I did move some apps to the SD card and wipe cache/data on a few, I don't remember which ones, but it was all standard stuff. Maybe I hit a wrong one and cleared necessary data??

No anti-virus on phone.

Thanks again!!!

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
does it still try to synch if you turn those off?

do you happen to know which recovery you have? To get to it, you need to either turn off fastboot if that rom has it, in menu/ settings / Power.

Or, you could just pull the battery. when it is off, you need to hold down volume and power at the same time and a screen will come up where you can select recovery by volume down. press power to select it.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
For dustwun77: Hi! Thanks again for your help. When I turn both of them off in Sync settings, the sync icon still shows. Weird. I'm wondering if it's an HTC Sync thing from the program I downloaded before rooting. I haven't uninstalled it cause I didn't wanna mess anything up. Is it safe to uninstall HTC Sync and still have basic sync on my phone for my Yahoo Mail and FaceBook?

I don't know which recovery I have, but when I go to Menu -> Settings-> there is no option for power. But under Applications there is a box for fast boot and it is unchecked.

I have these two apps on my phone: MyBackupPro and ES File Explorer.

I will try the battery out/recovery thing you mentioned now.

Thanks again.

For ocnbrze: Where on the phone do I find what my radio/base band is right now? Thanks...

Upvote 0
Hello, I'm trying to figure out what you want done so that I can help you out here. Can you give me a quick summary of what your trying to accomplish? It looks like your going in a couple of different directions here

EDIT: looks like your having texting/mms problems

What ROM are you on? Have you tried re-installing it or flashing a new one?

I would try that before updating your radios, you have the possibility of bricking your device if things go wrong with radios.

Upvote 0
Well we may have found the root of your problem :eek:

ROM manager is very buggy and in general should not be used to flash ROMS.

I would highly suggest you switch your recovery to Amon Ra, Re-flash a ROM (I'd suggest MikG 3.11)

How to put Amon Ra on the phone:
you can get the recovery here:PC36IMG RA 2.3.zip
here are the instructions:
1.download the file.
2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.
11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.

To flash a ROM:
1.first you need the vr superwipe:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
2.download the rom of your choice (mikG is here)and transfer it to your card.
3.go into recovery
4.make a nandroid backup
5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
6.select install (or flash depending on which recovery you have) zip from sdcard
7.find the superwipe file and flash it.(optional)
8.find your rom and flash it.
9.reboot.

Upvote 0
Everything that has been suggested are possible fixes. Since you used ROM manager though I would like to eliminate it being a ROM related software problem by having you flash a new ROM manually through recovery.

If you would like to try wiping dalvik cache & cache first before you try any of the things I suggested it is worth a try, as this can fix weird glitches that people sometimes have & is quick and easy to do.

I would wait on updating radio's (baseband) until we have exhausted all other options because of the things that could go wrong when updating radios

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I would boot into recovery and do a nandroid backup. Leave the first three checked.

Installing a new ROM will wipe all your current data, so if you have any apps that you absolutely need the data for back them up with titanium backup from the market.

Contacts should be synced to google but you can back them up to your SD card by hitting menu in the people app

More info on nandroids:
what are nandroid backups and why are they important? well nandroid backups are a complete snapshot of the current state of your phone. it will save everything (contacts, apps and its data, emails and text messages, and any other mods or settings you have on your rom). think of nandroid backups as a safety net. if anything goes wrong or if you change your mind on a rom you do not like, you can always go back and restore a previous nandroid backup. just remember that anytime you make any changes to your phone always make a nandroid backup.

also to save space keep only a few nandroids on your card. nandroids can be pretty big depending on the rom and what you are backing up. and you can rename your nandroid backups. just make sure not to have spaces or weird symbols in the name.

when doing a nandroid backup in amon ra, make sure to keep the first three checked then check wimax (you do not need to do this all the time.) just keep one nandroid backup with your wimax keys backed up on your computer. the rest of the time when doing nandroid backups, you can just backup the first three in amon ra. also if you have your sd card partitioned (see the Partitioning and Moving Apps to the Card section for the how to's) you should select sd ext as well. this wiil also backup all your apps.

clockwork mod will backup wimax automatically.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones