• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New PRL update

He is saying that the PRL update made the stock browser run faster... Implying that he has better 3G service after the update.

And since Opera is significantly faster than the stock browser, he is saying watch out. Like the stock browser is now better than Opera.

but then he realized he didn't test out Opera yet... So Opera is probably faster as well.

Don't worry, a1platnum, I got your back. lol

Thanks Wiskid. Elaborate?, this is a forum, if u didn't get it most likely it wasn't for u. Funny how some got it, let's hope we're testing the right brain.

Upvote 0
FREE AIRAVE! Wooooohooo! Lol, I'm like a little kid at Christmas right now.
Congrats! I have been using an Airave since 8/2009, have been happy with it, as my signal in my house is very bad....I have a few points for you.

1. It can take a long time to find and lock on to the satellites for the required GPS connection. This is only a problem if you have frequent power outages.

2. It uses only 1X for data. My Hero sometimes says EVDO while at home, but i believe it is alternating between the actual cell tower and the Airave when this happens.

3. If you are downloading something on your computer while connected to the same router the Airave device is, the call quality sucks! I can hear the caller fine, but they claim I break up terribly. There is a bandwidth limit I understand.

4. If you are on a call and leave your house, the call will seamlessly switch to the regular cell tower. This doesn't work in reverse, however. If you are on a call and arrive home, the Airave will not pick up the call. I ususlly tell my callers "I am arriving home, I will call you back in a minute."

5. My wife has a Samsung Instinct, and because of the Airave, her phone almost never receives calls while she is at home. There is a known incompatibility between these devices, aknowledged by both Sprint and Samsung. Something to do with the data being received to her phone (email updates, etc) via the 1X that the Airave limits it to, not allowing phone calls to come in. If her phone is not receiving data, the call will come in. She will be upgrading soon to a new phone.

Again, congrats on the Airave, and I hope this helps you and others.

Upvote 0
I only wish I was lucky enough to have gotten my airave for free..but it is worth the $99 and the $4.99 a month.. when I called CS, I was extremely nice (I deal with problem customer daily and know what it's like.) I was even nice the first time they hung up on me. I was even nice when I explained to Advanced Tech support that while my phone was sitting on the table I could see it go from 1 bar sprint to no signal to 1 bar roaming.. they told me to turn off roaming. I was even nice when the account manager dealing with Airaves told me that if I had no signal at my house that the airave wouldn't help because it only amplifies the available signal (it works great btw).. I was even nice when he told me that maybe I should just go to a different carrier,...

I stopped being nice when he YELLED at me because I told him my local store carried Airaves and he told me I didn't have a local store.. he promptly hung up on me when I asked to speak to his manager.. and when the next person I spoke to hung up on me..and the next 3 CSRs that either hung up on me (all I did was ask for a retentions manager) or they'd transfer me to a voice mail of a person that was out of the office for a week.

I went to my local Sprint store and bought an Airave.. I have 6 bars at my house now..

Upvote 0
Congrats! I have been using an Airave since 8/2009, have been happy with it, as my signal in my house is very bad....I have a few points for you.

1. It can take a long time to find and lock on to the satellites for the required GPS connection. This is only a problem if you have frequent power outages.

2. It uses only 1X for data. My Hero sometimes says EVDO while at home, but i believe it is alternating between the actual cell tower and the Airave when this happens.

3. If you are downloading something on your computer while connected to the same router the Airave device is, the call quality sucks! I can hear the caller fine, but they claim I break up terribly. There is a bandwidth limit I understand.

4. If you are on a call and leave your house, the call will seamlessly switch to the regular cell tower. This doesn't work in reverse, however. If you are on a call and arrive home, the Airave will not pick up the call. I ususlly tell my callers "I am arriving home, I will call you back in a minute."

5. My wife has a Samsung Instinct, and because of the Airave, her phone almost never receives calls while she is at home. There is a known incompatibility between these devices, aknowledged by both Sprint and Samsung. Something to do with the data being received to her phone (email updates, etc) via the 1X that the Airave limits it to, not allowing phone calls to come in. If her phone is not receiving data, the call will come in. She will be upgrading soon to a new phone.

Again, congrats on the Airave, and I hope this helps you and others.

Well, my only major gripe was the fact that I receive txt messages hours later when eventually my phone will find a roaming service but nothing to jump for joy over. I rarely use the phone for talking. Either way, I got what I wanted.. for free nonetheless :)

Upvote 0
Wait!!! You got it?! What'd you have to say to them to get it? Just that your service sucks at your house?

Yeah, I got it. I only had to pay 99 cents to have it shipped. I just basically kept stating that I get absolutely terrible service in and around my home. Which the CSR looked up in their database and a lot of people in my town have similar issues. I acted like I had no idea what Airave was or anything and that I was really frustrated with the lack of signal strength in my home. A major part is that I've been a Sprint customer for 3 yrs as well. It was really that simple.

Upvote 0
Well played sir. That is exactly how I approached it. I told them about the bad service they told me about the airave, I played dumb and said hook me up, they said that will be $99 plus $4.99/month, I said yah right I'm not paying more to have service that was promised to me based on my area, they said makes sense and it they will hook it up for free.....I think they did the right thing because I've been raving about their good service ever since and plan to be a loyal Sprint customer

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones