• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new s3 user, upgraded from evo

Tempusfugit

Android Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2010
Got my S3 about 3 weeks ago now...

Not impressed..

Games lag. Browser doesn't function correctly(links don't work after hitting back button on some pages). Speakerphone bugs out on me(won't turn off/on, can't use menus in automated systems). No flash - are you serious?

I had my evo rooted/flashed to mikfroyo 4.something, some kernel I can't remember.. Everything worked flawlessly.. 3 hours screen time on battery, never lagged(didn't have to restart for months at a time). Even the button layout was way better on the evo.

I've argued endlessly with friend's on android vs iphone and always defended android. This phone has me considering buying an iphone. Are these flaws with newer versions of android? (4.0 4.1 etc) or is the s3 just a turd?? My girlfriend has an s3 too and she has the same issues..

=================

Anyways, about to root it to see if I can make it useable again..

Any suggestions on a clean, de-bloated, de-odexed, non-aosp ROM?

The flash problem isn't Samsung. Adobe stopped supporting so you won't be able to download it from the play store on any device that runs jb. You can't get flash on Apple anyway. You can however download the apk from elsewhere and it works fine.

Never got on with the stock browser myself so I use dolphin. That will also bring problems with flash as the latest version won't let you turn it on. This worked for me, download dolphin 8.5.1 from elsewhere, turn on flash, then update with the play store to the latest version.

I've never got 3 hours screen on time but I use mine as a pocket pc and it has an awesome big screen. I can push an hour and a half tops but if I used it as a phone I reckon I'd get an extra hour out of it.

Upvote 0
Got my S3 about 3 weeks ago now...

Not impressed..

Games lag. Browser doesn't function correctly(links don't work after hitting back button on some pages). Speakerphone bugs out on me(won't turn off/on, can't use menus in automated systems). No flash - are you serious?

I had my evo rooted/flashed to mikfroyo 4.something, some kernel I can't remember.. Everything worked flawlessly.. 3 hours screen time on battery, never lagged(didn't have to restart for months at a time). Even the button layout was way better on the evo.

I've argued endlessly with friend's on android vs iphone and always defended android. This phone has me considering buying an iphone. Are these flaws with newer versions of android? (4.0 4.1 etc) or is the s3 just a turd?? My girlfriend has an s3 too and she has the same issues..

=================

Anyways, about to root it to see if I can make it useable again..

Any suggestions on a clean, de-bloated, de-odexed, non-aosp ROM?

As far as the lag and browser links not working, sounds like a Factory reset is in order.
You can get flash here>> Archived Flash Player versions

Upvote 0
The S3 is one of the fastest phones on the market if games are lagging then your expectations are way off.

Not sure what your browser issue is. Which browser and which websites? Chrome is the default browser which is one of the fastest and is the most popular browser on the planet. maybe you need to clear your caches.

Adobe has discontinued Flash. There are ways to load it still for those that really want it. For me though it just crashes all the time or slows web browsing down. Very few websites even use it anymore. But install it if you wish.

I've not seen any issue with the speakerphone. Not sure what menus in an automatied system means. Can you clarify?

Upvote 0
I've not seen any issue with the speakerphone. Not sure what menus in an automatied system means. Can you clarify?

press 1 for english, press 2 for spanish, etc.. I work on computers and sometimes have to activate windows with microsoft over the phone, which involves punching in a 40-50 digit activation key. It works fine without speakerphone(but putting it up to my ear to listen, and then punching in the next 5 digits, kind of sucks).. If I use speakerphone, about half the time the key presses stop responding, or lag 5-10 seconds. Even hitting speakerphone to turn it off will lag..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones