• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

KitKat Upgrade - New thread

Erm10

Dec 6, 2012
Since the other thread on this has a lot of outdated info and has gone over to a discussion on rooting and flashing and all that stuff, I wanted to start a new one that focuses on the most recent info.

So what I have read is that the S3 and mini that have 1GB of RAM will not get the update. I also saw a list of devices that will get the update but conspicuously absent is MY device (I-747 on AT&T). It has the necessary specs so why is it not on the list?

Here’s a list of Samsung devices getting the Android 4.4 KitKat update (UPDATE) | SamMobile

Since the other thread on this has a lot of outdated info and has gone over to a discussion on rooting and flashing and all that stuff, I wanted to start a new one that focuses on the most recent info.

So what I have read is that the S3 and mini that have 1GB of RAM will not get the update. I also saw a list of devices that will get the update but conspicuously absent is MY device (I-747 on AT&T). It has the necessary specs so why is it not on the list?

Here

Upvote 0
There's many different versions of the S3, most likely they didn't want to list them all, just wait you'll get it :) hopefully it'll come in the next few days! I have i747M so I hope I get it in the next few days I'm tired of these random black screens on the home screen and random refreshes and glitches and battery drains...

Thanks for your confidence but that seems kind of weak. Surely they could spend the effort to list them out.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure Samsung will have built it for all the s3s with qualcomm processor (all the North American ones) and given that firmware to the carriers and now it's down to the carriers to decide if they're gonna fill it with all their bloatware and send it out to your phones. Your update is in the hands of the carriers :thumbdown:

Upvote 0
Thanks for your confidence but that seems kind of weak. Surely they could spend the effort to list them out.

I don't see too much of a point, but I know it will come to mine since it's the 2GB varient, and 4.3 came to my S3 (I think) around the time it came out everywhere else? Dunno my phone was sent into repair and the day after I got it back I did the update.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure Samsung will have built it for all the s3s with qualcomm processor (all the North American ones) and given that firmware to the carriers and now it's down to the carriers to decide if they're gonna fill it with all their bloatware and send it out to your phones. Your update is in the hands of the carriers :thumbdown:

Bell actually doesn't have a lot of bloatware believe it or not! :)

Only two or three apps actually, and one of them allows me to watch what's on the TV anywhere! It's the google and samsung apps that slow the phone down! Haha...

Kitkat I need you... :banghead:

Upvote 0
I just updated to 4.4. The weather on the home screen no longer updates unless you have Location (formerly called GPS) turned on. That's annoying, as I hardly ever have Location/GPS on unless I'm accessing Maps.

Also, the notification bar at the top is no longer in color, it's all white. Battery icon is now white instead of green.

I'm sure there are other changes but this is what I've noticed so far in the brief time since the update.

Upvote 0
On Samsung is there the android "battery saving" location mode option in "location" settings? uploadfromtaptalk1400443968896.jpg

White icons and font is the android kitkat look and I really like it but after like 6months of it im now using a coloured theme :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I just updated to 4.4. The weather on the home screen no longer updates unless you have Location (formerly called GPS) turned on. That's annoying, as I hardly ever have Location/GPS on unless I'm accessing Maps.

Also, the notification bar at the top is no longer in color, it's all white. Battery icon is now white instead of green.

I'm sure there are other changes but this is what I've noticed so far in the brief time since the update.

What carrier are you on? I asked bell today when I will get KitKat for S3, they said that it should already be out and if it isn't they don't do software updates anymore or something and you have to buy it from samsung or Google, sounds like BS cause on their site it says s4 and note 3 already have KitKat...

Upvote 0
What carrier are you on? I asked bell today when I will get KitKat for S3, they said that it should already be out and if it isn't they don't do software updates anymore or something and you have to buy it from samsung or Google, sounds like BS cause on their site it says s4 and note 3 already have KitKat...

They were feeding you BS mate lol.
I don't know of any situation in Android where you have to pay for a firmware update (yet)
Take it you've tried plugging the phone into Kies?
Or have a look on the sammobile.com site you got your 4.3 file from. If bell have released it, they'll have it.
I don't recommend asking your carrier about anything technical tbh lol. If they don't know the answer to something they'll just make something up and expect you to be daft enough to believe it.
I'd have a search around the Internet for Android geeks who use Bell 🔔 :thumbup:

Actually I'll go ask some people...

Upvote 0
They were feeding you BS mate lol.
I don't know of any situation in Android where you have to pay for a firmware update (yet)
Take it you've tried plugging the phone into Kies?
Or have a look on the sammobile.com site you got your 4.3 file from. If bell have released it, they'll have it.
I don't recommend asking your carrier about anything technical tbh lol. If they don't know the answer to something they'll just make something up and expect you to be daft enough to believe it.
I'd have a search around the Internet for Android geeks who use Bell 🔔 :thumbup:

Actually I'll go ask some people...

Just checked Bell's site for the third time or so today, no KitKat, checked my phone, no update, I'll check kies once I get home, sammobile doesn't have it either.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Wow so i hoped id never say this but the post i put on g+ (i wont bother naming the community) asking about a possible update from bell got a really negative response. Negative meaning people not being very nice.
I get that people get bored with people asking about updates but i asked the question in a very humble way and the people who replied know im no noob and that im not in north america but.. there you go lol. Android Forums is without a doubt the friendliest place to ask about android stuff whether youre a noob or a veteran :beer:
So im none the wiser about the bell update or compatibility of another carrier's update sorry :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Wow so i hoped id never say this but the post i put on g+ (i wont bother naming the community) asking about a possible update from bell got a really negative response. Negative meaning people not being very nice.
I get that people get bored with people asking about updates but i asked the question in a very humble way and the people who replied know im no noob and that im not in north america but.. there you go lol. Android Forums is without a doubt the friendliest place to ask about android stuff whether youre a noob or a veteran :beer:
So im none the wiser about the bell update or compatibility of another carrier's update sorry :thumbup:

Oh, btw I changed my mind on the htc one... the UI itself looked boring, think I'll go for the galaxy S5 (I have doubts that I'll be able to sell the S3 for a decent price though...)

Upvote 0
Oh, btw I changed my mind on the htc one... the UI itself looked boring, think I'll go for the galaxy S5 (I have doubts that I'll be able to sell the S3 for a decent price though...)

You'll get something for it. I bought an international version for the wife maybe a month ago from a guy on here in excellent condition for

Upvote 0
That's not too bad, I have the box (three unused screen protectors+ one that is on it already but it's full of scratches, a broken flip case, a silicon case, and a plastic case, as well as the headphones but I sorta messed them up...)

Point is, I have everything it came with, which might add value.

I feel like I can't live without the touchwiz UI, looking at stock android or htc sense makes me feel sad, just no colour or anything, and whenever I look at iOS I feel hate inside me because of how stupid it is XD

Unlock it first that will add value and because you have an lte one with two gigs of ram more value.. Check listing on swappa at the att S3 unlocked you get a rough estimate of what you can expect max.. I would value yours at 140 to 190 usd easy.
http://swappa.com/devices/att

Upvote 0
Unlock it first that will add value and because you have an lte one with two gigs of ram more value.. Check listing on swappa at the att S3 unlocked you get a rough estimate of what you can expect max.. I would value yours at 140 to 190 usd easy.

I think it already is unlocked, no branding on it or anything, any way to tell?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones