• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android

Pants

Jul 16, 2010
Hi all, this is my first post in the forums and I joined because the internet is not giving me the information i wish to know, and you all seem like a knowledgeable bunch.

This Sunday my contract will expire and I will be getting a new phone. I have chosen 2 possible candidates and I require all of your help to help me decide and feed my knowledge as well.

The 2 phones are the Acer Liquid E and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10.
Which phone would you guys recommend?

Now there is more to this. I recently discovered rooting. I can find guides on HOW, but not reasons WHY and I would like this information before doing anything.
Should i root?
What exactly will rooting my phone do?
What is a ROM for a phone?
If i root the x10, with its social android skin go away and leave me with plain old android?
Will rooting boost performance? because if it does boost performance, than ill go with the sony because it has more horsepower.
Can i Install the latest android with rooting?
I have a lot more questions, but I will spare you all for reading sake and ask as is needed.

Sorry for all the questions, and I am hoping to hear some responses because when there is something about technology I don't know, I need to fill that void.

P.S. I know I'm not supposed to ask questions here, but I couldn't find a proper area regarding a broad topic such as rooting in general.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones