• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android

Driz00

Lurker
Aug 4, 2011
Hi all
Just got my S2 a couple of days ago and am LOVING it....apart from the lower dpi/resolution this phone is far superior to my old iPhone 4 in every regard.
Im sure I'll have a few queries as the days go by but initially I just want to know if I am ok to "uninstall" all of the proprietary samsung junk like "Samsung Reccomends", Music Hub, Social Hub, Reading Hub, "Samsun Apps" etc etc.....
I will obviously download better apps for stock functions such as music player but Im not sure whether I should just remove the samsun stuff from my panels or actually uninstall it completely......
Any guidance here would be appreciated.
Also can you guys give me any recommendations for must have apps that replace stock functions like music player etc (im currentlyl looking at Cubed or PowerAmp for music as an example....)
Any suggestions most appreciated!!
Thanks guys
Driz

hey. welcome to android :D

without having root access, u cannot remove those stock apps from ur phone.. so u might want to look into rooting ur phone first :) u can still install as many music apps as u want, and set one as a default.. so u dont need to remove anything beforehand..

i just tried this new music app called UberMusic. its not free, but im loving it.. i just posted a review of sorts, u should find it in this thread... u should definitely check it out, its the best looking music app ive ever seen on android. poweramp is nice, but cluttered, and full of features. ubermusic is simple, slick.. and it definitely doesnt have all those features, so it depends on wat u want. i personally dont like cubed. lol

Upvote 0
Hi all
Just got my S2 a couple of days ago and am LOVING it....apart from the lower dpi/resolution this phone is far superior to my old iPhone 4 in every regard.
Im sure I'll have a few queries as the days go by but initially I just want to know if I am ok to "uninstall" all of the proprietary samsung junk like "Samsung Reccomends", Music Hub, Social Hub, Reading Hub, "Samsun Apps" etc etc.....
I will obviously download better apps for stock functions such as music player but Im not sure whether I should just remove the samsun stuff from my panels or actually uninstall it completely......
Any guidance here would be appreciated.
Also can you guys give me any recommendations for must have apps that replace stock functions like music player etc (im currentlyl looking at Cubed or PowerAmp for music as an example....)
Any suggestions most appreciated!!
Thanks guys
Driz

(1) You cannot uninstall the factory installed apps unless you root the phone. I dont recommend you do that as you have tons of space on this phone. Just ignore these apps and install your own preferred ones.

(2) I am using the MixZing Media Player. Its free and its simply awesome for the options it has.

(3) There are some video files which do not run on the stock video player. Use MoboPlayer. Its free, no ads too, even plays 1080p files over my network without a stutter !

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick replies guys, will check out your suggestions.

I am extremely capable in terms of IT and stuff, build my own PCs so flashing / rooting will be no problem for me to look into, Im just a bit retiscent as the phone is so sexy and so new...I might leave it for a while lol...

If I leave the stock apps installed, can I at least remove the icons from my panels so they are not cluttering up the place?

Driz

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick replies guys, will check out your suggestions.

I am extremely capable in terms of IT and stuff, build my own PCs so flashing / rooting will be no problem for me to look into, Im just a bit retiscent as the phone is so sexy and so new...I might leave it for a while lol...

If I leave the stock apps installed, can I at least remove the icons from my panels so they are not cluttering up the place?

Driz

You can remove and add whatever apps you want from the Main screen panels including the icons on the bottom of the screen (messenger etc.)

You cannot remove app icons (factory installed) from the App panel (you access it when you click on the Applications icon the main screen)

Upvote 0
You can remove and add whatever apps you want from the Main screen panels including the icons on the bottom of the screen (messenger etc.)

You cannot remove app icons (factory installed) from the App panel (you access it when you click on the Applications icon the main screen)

So apps are only removed from the "apps" panels as they are uninstalled?

No worries, can I perhaps put all the samsung junk on the last panel in apps so they are at least kept out of the way of the my core apps?

For example have my apps on panels 1 and 2, but move all the samsun icons to panel 5 or something?

Driz

Upvote 0
yeah, u can remove them from the homescreens, but not from the application page

i was like u when i got my phone, i thought rooting would change how my phone looks. it doesnt, not at all. it just adds the Superuser app, and thats about it. u wouldnt be able to tell if ur rooted or not :D

if ur not keen on rooting but wanna remove ur clutter, just create a folder called Unused or something and drag the crap samsung stuff in there

the reader hub is quite nice. u could remove it and install the standalone apps but its nice to have em in one place, i feel. books/mags etc. and the social hub is nice. i hardly use it, but i find its good to have anyway. the music hub works in very few countries, so i removed it asap. games hub is also meaningless, as u can just install them from the market, so is the samsung app store

Upvote 0
uSE EASY UNINSTALLER.

hey. welcome to android :D

without having root access, u cannot remove those stock apps from ur phone.. so u might want to look into rooting ur phone first :) u can still install as many music apps as u want, and set one as a default.. so u dont need to remove anything beforehand..

i just tried this new music app called UberMusic. its not free, but im loving it.. i just posted a review of sorts, u should find it in this thread... u should definitely check it out, its the best looking music app ive ever seen on android. poweramp is nice, but cluttered, and full of features. ubermusic is simple, slick.. and it definitely doesnt have all those features, so it depends on wat u want. i personally dont like cubed. lol

Upvote 0
I have loads of apps and only use two home screens. On the first one I have the ones I use a lot, such as mail, calendar, camera, task manager. On the second home screen I have created folders and put apps in applicable folders.

One folder for instance is called Media and contains music, photo and video apps. Another is called Utilities, another System, the list goes on.

When I look at my applications list I always choose List View, which puts them in alphabetical order and makes them easy to locate.

Using folders in this way completely negates any problems with non-removable apps that you never use, you simply don't put them in any of your folders!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones