1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New to Android

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Driz00, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Driz00

Driz00 Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Hi all
    Just got my S2 a couple of days ago and am LOVING it....apart from the lower dpi/resolution this phone is far superior to my old iPhone 4 in every regard.
    Im sure I'll have a few queries as the days go by but initially I just want to know if I am ok to "uninstall" all of the proprietary samsung junk like "Samsung Reccomends", Music Hub, Social Hub, Reading Hub, "Samsun Apps" etc etc.....
    I will obviously download better apps for stock functions such as music player but Im not sure whether I should just remove the samsun stuff from my panels or actually uninstall it completely......
    Any guidance here would be appreciated.
    Also can you guys give me any recommendations for must have apps that replace stock functions like music player etc (im currentlyl looking at Cubed or PowerAmp for music as an example....)
    Any suggestions most appreciated!!
    Thanks guys
    Driz

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

hey. welcome to android :D

without having root access, u cannot remove those stock apps from ur phone.. so u might want to look into rooting ur phone first :) u can still install as many music apps as u want, and set one as a default.. so u dont need to remove anything beforehand..

i just tried this new music app called UberMusic. its not free, but im loving it.. i just posted a review of sorts, u should find it in this thread... u should definitely check it out, its the best looking music app ive ever seen on android. poweramp is nice, but cluttered, and full of features. ubermusic is simple, slick.. and it definitely doesnt have all those features, so it depends on wat u want. i personally dont like cubed. lol

3. JulyDerek

JulyDerek Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Bombay
    (1) You cannot uninstall the factory installed apps unless you root the phone. I dont recommend you do that as you have tons of space on this phone. Just ignore these apps and install your own preferred ones.

(2) I am using the MixZing Media Player. Its free and its simply awesome for the options it has.

(3) There are some video files which do not run on the stock video player. Use MoboPlayer. Its free, no ads too, even plays 1080p files over my network without a stutter !

Hope that helps!

4. Driz00

Driz00 Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks for the quick replies guys, will check out your suggestions.

I am extremely capable in terms of IT and stuff, build my own PCs so flashing / rooting will be no problem for me to look into, Im just a bit retiscent as the phone is so sexy and so new...I might leave it for a while lol...

If I leave the stock apps installed, can I at least remove the icons from my panels so they are not cluttering up the place?

Driz

5. JulyDerek

JulyDerek Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Bombay
    You can remove and add whatever apps you want from the Main screen panels including the icons on the bottom of the screen (messenger etc.)

You cannot remove app icons (factory installed) from the App panel (you access it when you click on the Applications icon the main screen)

6. Driz00

Driz00 Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    So apps are only removed from the "apps" panels as they are uninstalled?

No worries, can I perhaps put all the samsung junk on the last panel in apps so they are at least kept out of the way of the my core apps?

For example have my apps on panels 1 and 2, but move all the samsun icons to panel 5 or something?

Driz

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yeah, u can remove them from the homescreens, but not from the application page

i was like u when i got my phone, i thought rooting would change how my phone looks. it doesnt, not at all. it just adds the Superuser app, and thats about it. u wouldnt be able to tell if ur rooted or not :D

if ur not keen on rooting but wanna remove ur clutter, just create a folder called Unused or something and drag the crap samsung stuff in there

the reader hub is quite nice. u could remove it and install the standalone apps but its nice to have em in one place, i feel. books/mags etc. and the social hub is nice. i hardly use it, but i find its good to have anyway. the music hub works in very few countries, so i removed it asap. games hub is also meaningless, as u can just install them from the market, so is the samsung app store

8. kevin625

kevin625 Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    What you can do is make a folder and throw it on your last page, and drag all the garbage stuff in that folder.

9. jds4000

jds4000 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    CRNA
    Sarasota, Florida
    Papyrus (Tasks), IMDB, Netflix, Shazam, Moviefone, Google Earth, FlightTrack, Skype, Gallery, Amazon,com to name a few. Also Handcent SMS.

10. daz_2000

daz_2000 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    London, UK
    I barely go into my app panel, I think you have brought that habit with you from iphone. Make use of your 7 homescreens and shortcut to your apps on there, you can use apps such as multicon which lets you put more icons on your screen or app labels with widget shortcuts.

11. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

well my homescreens arent enough for all my apps and i dont clutter it, even with circle launcher or other multi shortcut widgets.. n i also use quite a few widgets, so i see where OP is coming from. dragging the samsung stuff into a folder is a good idea, its wat i did until i rooted

12. dileepb

dileepb Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    uSE EASY UNINSTALLER.

13. ivanoh

ivanoh Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    maybe you can download apps like GO luncher to hide the "useless" apps in the App panel

14. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

u still cannot remove samsung apps or other pre-loaded apps without root access :)

15. KING LUFF

KING LUFF Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    If you download one of the many launchers available for free in the market then i'm pretty sure most of them have the option to hide apps from the app drawer. I know launcher pro does

16. Motorhomer

Motorhomer Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Male
    Retailer
    Lancashire, England
    I have loads of apps and only use two home screens. On the first one I have the ones I use a lot, such as mail, calendar, camera, task manager. On the second home screen I have created folders and put apps in applicable folders.

One folder for instance is called Media and contains music, photo and video apps. Another is called Utilities, another System, the list goes on.

When I look at my applications list I always choose List View, which puts them in alphabetical order and makes them easy to locate.

Using folders in this way completely negates any problems with non-removable apps that you never use, you simply don't put them in any of your folders!