• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New to Root Community. Kernel Info?

AMTrombley0924

Android Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2010
California
So I just rooted my FRG01B Droid. I did it mostly to OC my phone so it can run faster and smoother, since it got a big laggy when I force update the Froyo 2.2 FRG01B. However, the stock kernel I have only let's me OC to 800mHz. My Droid is still a bit choppy at times. I am trying to decide on how else I could speed it up.

I was hoping someone could explain custom kernels to me. I have many questions such as:
-Where do I get them?
-Which are the most stable/safe that can get me to 1GHz?
-Is 1 GHz a safe speed for a Droid 1 Processor?
-Can I get them without using a custom ROM?
-Do I need to backup my phone before installing a kernel just like I would before doing a ROM?

I just want to understand what kernels are and how they work.

Thank you to anyone who can help! I'm trying to take this new root world slowly. I can't afford to bust this phone right now.

Stickied thread in this forum - http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/98988-froyo-kernels.html

Each Droid is different and will react differently to a kernel. Try them all and see which one yours prefer? I run ChevyNo1s, no complaints at 1.25Ghz (YMMV). Again, try the kernel and see. Some will happily do 1Ghz, others won't on your handset.

You can try it on a non custom rom. Backups are not really required, but if it's your first time, just nandroid the whole thing first just in case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones