1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New to the Droid Community

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by USAMatt, Aug 4, 2016.

1. USAMatt

USAMatt Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2016
    Male
    Hello everyone, I am new to the droid community. I recently switch the other day from Iphone. I just had some questions that I used to like from my iphone that I was wondering if the droid can do. I've been playing around a little bit on it and I can't seem to figure out the right settings. First when I receive a message while my screen is locked, is there a way to just show who sent the messages, or FB messages? I can only get either the name and the message or nothing. I just want to see the name of who sent it not the contents. Also is there a way to turn off mobile data for certain apps? I don't like using most apps if they aren't on wifi?
    Thank you

Advertisement

2. Solangeburgas

Solangeburgas Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2016
    Male
    About SMS notification there is no way to see only the sender but not the content in lock screen.
    For turning off mobile data for certain apps there is some apps doing that (i heard this but i cant provide the name of these apps). In Android u only can turn off backround refresh for certain apps, but can not prevent some apps to use mobile data when started.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    1. On the SMS notification, you'd need to use a different SMS app than the one provided. Apps like Textra and chompSMS has a feature called private notification that allows only the name of the sender to be seen byt not the message content. But for other apps, the apps themselves need to support thay feature. You can try a different lockscreen notification app lile Nils, to see if it has that feature. You'd need to turn off the default one.

2. As mentioned above, you can turn off background data, meaning the apps won't use mobile data for syncing or refreshing when not in use. But they will use mobile data if you open them.

4. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    I've not tried it, but perhaps turning off the following option might work for OP?
    Message>More>Settings>Notifications>Preview Message

Or will this stop new messages showing on the lock screen full stop?

5. USAMatt

USAMatt Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2016
    Male
    Thank you everyone. Hawker, I tried that and it still is either or. I haven't figured out how to get it to say just the name.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I already told you, if you're using the built in messages app, you can't. You need to use a messaging app from the Play Store that supports the feature.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.