• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to the Droid Community

USAMatt

Lurker
Aug 4, 2016
Hello everyone, I am new to the droid community. I recently switch the other day from Iphone. I just had some questions that I used to like from my iphone that I was wondering if the droid can do. I've been playing around a little bit on it and I can't seem to figure out the right settings. First when I receive a message while my screen is locked, is there a way to just show who sent the messages, or FB messages? I can only get either the name and the message or nothing. I just want to see the name of who sent it not the contents. Also is there a way to turn off mobile data for certain apps? I don't like using most apps if they aren't on wifi?
Thank you

About SMS notification there is no way to see only the sender but not the content in lock screen.
For turning off mobile data for certain apps there is some apps doing that (i heard this but i cant provide the name of these apps). In Android u only can turn off backround refresh for certain apps, but can not prevent some apps to use mobile data when started.

Upvote 0
1. On the SMS notification, you'd need to use a different SMS app than the one provided. Apps like Textra and chompSMS has a feature called private notification that allows only the name of the sender to be seen byt not the message content. But for other apps, the apps themselves need to support thay feature. You can try a different lockscreen notification app lile Nils, to see if it has that feature. You'd need to turn off the default one.

2. As mentioned above, you can turn off background data, meaning the apps won't use mobile data for syncing or refreshing when not in use. But they will use mobile data if you open them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones