• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Verizon: Wait for HTC Incredible 2 more weeks or get Droid Eris?

jamor

Android Expert
Apr 13, 2010
Planet Earth
I realize there are a million opinions on the matter and there is no perfect Verizon phone (which is why I am asking) - I'm looking for a slim phone that has good web browsing, good calling, and a few useful apps. I will check email about once a day.

I'm also aware that every Verizon smart phone has bad battery life.

I will not be using it that much except to look things up as necessary and text a little and of course talk.

I don't care about HD video streaming, bigger screens, gaming, or music (I have a Zune HD so I already have a fantastic multimedia player).

I am switching to Verizon from T-Mobile (absolutely terrible phone service but nice people and good rates).

Droid Eris is coming out with 2.1 from Verizon shortly so that is not an argument to me for getting an Incredible (I'd rather not use a hack that could kill warranty or screw up my device or not have all of the bells and whistles the real 2.1 will have).

I have a huge tax refund coming so I would pay the $199 if it had blistering reviews and superb battery life.

I realize it isn't out yet so it's hard to say. But should I be a bum for 2 weeks and use my moms phone or suck it up and save $130 bucks for what will essentially have the same OS but a slower processor?

What do you guys think?!

Verizon offers the 30 test run for all their phones and even the network. You could go ahead and pick up the Eris to get a solid feel for Android, the Sense UI and Verizon even before the Incredible comes out. Once the Incredible is out you can test them both out side by side in the store and decide which one you like best. Then either keep the Eris or exchange it for the Incredible.

Yours is the only opinion that really matters when it comes to picking out a phone.

Upvote 0
That is a good idea. I would have to pay the $35 restocking fee though which would make it $234..

But maybe a dollar a day is a good rate to test a phone - I think I'll order the Eris and return it I test the Incredible and it's Incredible.

Do you know if they will accept it if they find I put it on 2.1?

Upvote 0
I'm with OTD. Get thee to the VZW store as soon as you can so that you can spend a lot of time with the Eris. If you switch for the Incredible, you still have 2 more weeks to decide. If you are one of those people who really can't make a decision on day 29, take the phone back and reactivate your current phone. Spend some more time agonizing over it and start the process again if Verizon gets anything tempting this summer.

It is kind of slimy but if you are the type to keep a phone forever (longer than 2 years,) it isn't a bad move.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
I purchased an Eris at my local Verizon store on 3/18 to see if I liked it, was thinking I might keep it since it was free (after rebates, 2 year renewal, etc.) I returned it on 4/11 for a full refund, no restocking fee (because I went back to my old phone). My NE2 and month-to-month contract status were reinstated in less than 24 hours.

FWIW, here is my experience:

I had an EnV that was dying but I really liked the phone.

Day 1 - After grilling the Verizon rep about return policies, etc., I buy the Eris. I am in love - total, head over heels, spring is in the air, puppy dog mushy love. The android O/S is SO awesome! I had never had a smartphone and they are WAY cool! They do everything. Virtually everytime I pressed a button I was squealing in pure delight. :D

Day 2 - Ohhhhhh . . . apps! Lots and lots of apps! Look, I can make my phone act like a light saber! And it can scan barcodes! And there is this thing called Pandora and I can listen to music all night long! Whoo hoo! I have LOTS of ringtones on my phone and I didn't have to pay Verizon through the nose for them!

Day 3 - I HATE THIS STUPID PHONE! I can't figure out how to make phone calls and the dumb virtual keyboard is agonizing to figure out and the battery life sucks and did I mention I hate this phone?!?! I can't decide if I should throw it against the wall or take it back. :mad:

Day 4 - still hate it. :(

Day 5 - hate it more. :(:mad:

Day 6 - getting the hang of texting. I can check my email too! I can browse the web for hours at night with this cute little phone! Mabye I'll give it some more time . . . :rolleyes:

Day 7 - 14 Okay, I'm definitely keeping this phone! I'm giving it a name, and I'm going to love it and take good care of it and buy it accessories. It does everything I want and it was free. I don't need the latest and greatest for another $200. I'm happy again. :)

Day 15 - I'm having massive problems with lag and battery. I do a factory reset and install NO apps, just use the phone as is for awhile. It works okay for a couple of days and then things go haywire. :thinking:

Day 18 - I'm seeing more and more problems. Phone lag, force close on the virtual keyboard (what is up with THAT!?!?!?), browser is locking up and does nothing. I have to pull the battery and/or do a factory reset and it's getting worse. I'm have NO apps installed and I'm not running a task killer. I even remove all the widgets that are installed initially on homescreens. I hate this phone. :mad:

Day 22 - Taking a hard look at this phone and realized I want my EnV keyboard back. I don't like the feel of the phone in my hand. I can't feel the dumb thing vibrate at all and I'm missing virtually every phone call. I'm missing my EnV more and more and that was my biggest clue the Eris (and the Incredible) was not the phone for me. :)

Day 25 - returned Eris. Happy that I had the opportunity to play with it, get to to know what features are important to me and what features I don't care about. I definiitely want an Android phone. I absolutely want a keyboard. I want a bigger phone. I don't care about Sense UI. I would have never known these things if I did not get the Eris and I was prepared to love it and keep it.

I would wholeheartedly suggest this approach because while the Incredible may sound amazing (and I'm sure it is) you really can't know if it's the right phone for you until you get some serious hands on experience. I would have NEVER figured that out with spending even an hour a day for a week in the store with the phone.

Best of luck!

I'm sorry for the length of this post, but I hope it's helpful.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
oppendroid, when you gave the phone back, did they make you get a data plan when you reactivated your EnV? New people who pick up phones capable of VCAST must buy the data plan where by the old rules you did not have to subscribe to VCAST, you just didn't get the content and web browsing if you didn't.

(Sorry for the derail, but I was just wondering.)

Upvote 0
oppendroid, when you gave the phone back, did they make you get a data plan when you reactivated your EnV? New people who pick up phones capable of VCAST must buy the data plan where by the old rules you did not have to subscribe to VCAST, you just didn't get the content and web browsing if you didn't.

(Sorry for the derail, but I was just wondering.)

Wow! Thanks for this information. I wasn't aware they did this. I'm going to pick up the Droid today and I'll find out and let you know. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones