• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbi upgrading from blackberry

ottomatictom

Mar 3, 2011
hello, after months of contemplating on switching from my blackberry 8530 to either a droid or eris, i finally decided to just do it and bought a eris on ebay today. i know eris is eol and thats fine because my blackberry was also. plus i know you can root droids, (though i dont know much about that at all.) the reason i decided to lose the blackberry was for 1 blackberry's app selection is horrible! for 2 R.I.M doesnt care about their customers. for instance i had the 8530 curve, a few months after i got that, they release the 'curve 3g' the 3g and the 8530 have almost the exact same specs except for screen size or res. but the 3g got a bb os 6 upgrade and mine of course did not. ok now that i am done ranting, my question is simply what are some good things about the eris, what are some things i can do to it. im fairly experienced with phones so im sure i could root it if i wanted. what are some pros/cons to rooting. and anything else you can think of that a newbi like me should know. i look forward to receiving my first android phone and getting rid of this blackberry!
thank you

Tommy

Reactions: ottomatictom
Upvote 0
when i first tried it, i ran into a boot loop on the froshedyo android screen. since then i restored my phone i think the problem was i did a wipe date/factory reset but did not do a wipe dalvik-cache. would this make a difference? also do i have to set up an nand recovery before i try again? or is it a one time thing? thank you all for being so helpful

Upvote 0
when i first tried it, i ran into a boot loop on the froshedyo android screen. since then i restored my phone i think the problem was i did a wipe date/factory reset but did not do a wipe dalvik-cache. would this make a difference? also do i have to set up an nand recovery before i try again? or is it a one time thing? thank you all for being so helpful

The data wipe/factory reset also does a dalvik cache wipe, so I don't think it was that. It won't hurt to try it, though.

You would only need to do a Nandroid restore if you want to go back to what you had before, and there is definitely no reason to do a Nandroid backup now.

Did you get any error messages when you flashed the ROM?

Also, why not flash the newer V11 of FroShedYo?

Upvote 0
i thought v10 was the newest version. i retried flashing again after doing a dalvik cache wipe and it worked, i really like the the rom but im having a hard time finding a free sms widget that is somewhat similar to the sense widget. if i want to change roms how do i do this? just wipe everything again and go to flash zip and just choose the new rom?

Upvote 0
i thought v10 was the newest version. i retried flashing again after doing a dalvik cache wipe and it worked, i really like the the rom but im having a hard time finding a free sms widget that is somewhat similar to the sense widget. if i want to change roms how do i do this? just wipe everything again and go to flash zip and just choose the new rom?

Yes, if you want to change ROMs you do the data/factory wipe and Dalvik wipe, then flash the zip(s) for the ROM. I don't use a sms widget, but you could try Go SMS if you haven't thus far. I don't remember what the sense widget was like, and I also don't know what the Go SMS widget is like, but it's not as well known as Hancent or Chomp.

Upvote 0
one more question, can you have more than one nan backup points?

Yes, you can make multiple nandroid backups. They will be named by the date they were made, and you can rename them to indicate which ROM you are using.

Just remember that there are some rules about renaming them - no spaces or special characters. Alphabetic characters, periods, numerals, dashes or underscores should be fine; I'd stay away from anything else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones