• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newbie confused over contacts and calendar sync

So, i've had this phone for about a month, very happy with it, as I've always wanted to go android :)

However, up till now, I'm still confused over the calendar and contacts sync, so wondering if anyone can explain it to me.

For the calendar, appointments that I create and update on google (PC) syncs to the phone perfectly. But when i create appointments on the phone, things go wrong. When I create more than 1 appt on the phone, and then sync to google, all appts that were created on the phone disappears from my google calendar (on PC).

for contacts, what's the best way to sync contacts? phone -> google or google -> phone? It seems if i create contacts on the phone, or try to combine 2 contacts on the phone, and then try to sync with google, these contacts are not updated. In fact, they get uncombined again?

Hope the explanation above is clear enough. I'm confused :thinking: ...please help...

I'm a user for a few days only so I'm still learning my way around. Haven't created appointments on my phone yet so really can't comment on that for now. As for contacts, the nightmare was to export them from Outlook (the export as CVS and import on Gmail did not work well so I had to use a third party app), but once there I'm syncing with no trouble. Haven't created new ones yet, but I changed data on some contacts on my phone, went to options for sync, and voil

Upvote 0
I tried exporting my contacts from my previous cell phone to outlook, then to cvs, and then importing the cvs on gmail. All was ok in outlook, but on gmail all numbers and email addresses, etc, appeared on the notes instead of the appropriate field. Not sure if it was due to the fact that I use outlook in portuguese, and the headers in the cvs file created are in portuguese as well. So I used the "Go contact sync" windows app (search in google, it's free) and sync'd outlook with gmail. Worked like a charm.

PS: Before importing your contacts to outlook, set (in tools/ options/ contacts options) if you want to archive contacts as first or last name first, as that is the way they will be exported to outlook. I didn't do this in my first try and since outlook had a default of surname first, that's the way the names showed up on my cell. Since I prefer first name first, I had to delete everything in outlook and gmail and sync all again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones