• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie needs help

aylee

Lurker
Aug 8, 2010
I just got the Samsung Captivate and I have a few questions, if you could please help me...

1. I am unable to open MS Office files and pdf. Do I have to download an app to be able to open them? If so, what apps do you recommend.

2. I heard the Droid can do voice guided navigation. Can the Samsung Captivate do this as well or do I need to download an app? I can't seem to find the voice guided navigation on Maps.

3. I tried to add my Yahoo! email, but it kept saying invalid username and password. I googled about it and I read that you have to disable wi-fi. Is there a way around it? It's kinda hard to keep disabling wi-fi and enable again for other things that I want to do.

Thank you in advance!

I just got the Samsung Captivate and I have a few questions, if you could please help me...

1. I am unable to open MS Office files and pdf. Do I have to download an app to be able to open them? If so, what apps do you recommend.

2. I heard the Droid can do voice guided navigation. Can the Samsung Captivate do this as well or do I need to download an app? I can't seem to find the voice guided navigation on Maps.

3. I tried to add my Yahoo! email, but it kept saying invalid username and password. I googled about it and I read that you have to disable wi-fi. Is there a way around it? It's kinda hard to keep disabling wi-fi and enable again for other things that I want to do.

Thank you in advance!

1. Yes you need an app for this. For me I use Documents 2 Go. You can only veiw with it, unless you want the full version in which you can edit as well. (I have both and I use them alot). Documents to go should also allow you to view PDF files. However if you need to create one on the run a neat little app called Scan2PDF is brilliant! Take a picture of a doc and it will convert and save to pdf format.

2. As long as the Captivate has google maps then yes you have it(I know AT&T was taking out some google apps so i am not sure). When you enter a route in google maps youll see an option for navigate. First time you use it, it will take you to the market to d/l voice navigation.

3. Not sure about Yahoo mail as I don't use it. I do know that an actual Yahoo e-mail app was release not to long ago in the market. Might wanna give that a shot.

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones