• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newbie wants to do factory reset

Extra, extra, read all about it! Noob messes up! Wants help with doing factory reset!

Do we really need to go into all the embarrassing details? Let's just say that I changed a setting (Location and Security>Set up restriction lock) to put in a password that I now can't remember.

Despite trying every combination I can think of, I can't get past the password prompt on this screen.

Verizon technical support tells me I need to factory default the phone to erase this password. Can I do this at home or do I need to be at a Verizon store to do it?

In the two weeks I've had this, of course, I've put in lots of contacts, about a dozen apps and music on the SD card.

As near as I can tell, the contacts will re-synch with my Gmail account. Things on the SD card won't be affected. Is this right?

So, people who have done it, what tips do you suggest to the idiot? in other words, what is the step-by-step procedure that will work the best, with the fewest headaches to do a factory reset and then get back to where I was--but without the password?

Thank you in advance, he says humbly.

As near as I can tell, the contacts will re-synch with my Gmail account. Things on the SD card won't be affected. Is this right?

Correct.

Apps will redownload also.

Now, since I am not sure where you set this password I will give you 2 ways to do a factory reset.

Options 1: On the home screen go to Menu -> Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset.

Options 2: (Do this if you can't do the above) Shut down the phone. Power it back on while holding the x key on the hardware keyboard. When you get to the screen with the triangle hit the search button on the keyboard. Use the volume up/down keys to go to wipe data/factory rest and then hit the camera button.

Reactions: Lare
Upvote 0
Thank you.

I've done it using the first method. (With much fear, trepidation and gnashing of teeth, by the way.)

The password is gone, all the contacts came back, as did the apps. Surprisingly, some of the contact pictures were reunited with their contacts and some were not. Custom ringtone selections had to be done again. Some of the apps lost their data, but I'm ok with that.

It raises the question though: If I wanted to factory default and NOT have the apps and contacts re-install, how would I do that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones