• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Next OTA and rooting

sequre

Mar 11, 2010
I'm rooted but not using any custom ROMS. Will I need to unroot before the new version of Android is rolled out? I know we probably have awhile until then, but the earlier the better. I'd also like to know this because my wifes Incredible is also rooted and i'd hate for her to brick her device if by some chance it's rolled out without warning.

If you are rooted, I would say do not accept OTA updates. It could cause problems. It could just take away root (though if you are S=OFF, you can just re-root easily). Besides, anything that is offered in the update, especially anything that is of any significance, will either already be in what we have available through rom devs, or it will be coming soon.

Upvote 0
new RUU already out [ROM]RUU_Incredible_C_Froyo_VERIZON_WWE_3.26.605.1_Radi o_2.15.00.07.28_2k4k_NV_1.70 - xda-developers

I recently unrooted, turned s-on and installed previous RUU waiting to see if I can receive OTA. If you are rooted or unrooted you can install the latest RUU (It is signed). As for the OTA, rooted with S-off is hit or miss for recieving OTA notification (Seems to not show up 90%+ of the time). Its just up to you, even with official RUU with S-On and unrooted I am unsure I will even recieve the OTA notification.

**Cant find the Verizon page with ALL details at the moment, on a time crunch

Upvote 0
I rooted but i just made my phone S-on. Would it be safe to install the OTA update?

I get confused when people say i shouldn't or i should. Should i go back to s-off to install the OTA?

To ensure root, leave S-off. I would guess that if you can find anyone who installed via latest RUU and attempted root (Success/Failure), you will have a definitive answer. Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones