• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 Review by an iPhone Fanboy

Let me clarify one point about Google now that multiple people have brought up both here and elsewhere.

Yes, I realize I can say "Google" and then it will listen. But getting that to work for me is not very consistent. And having to do that is a 2 step process for I can start giving it commands. Swipe up then say it.

I realize once on the home screen or in Google now I can tap the small mic icon. But I am most likely to use Google now when driving, meaning I don't want to look at the screen. Tapping the mic makes me look at the screen, thus not ideal.

I want a one step process to easily get to Google now from anywhere and start talking. A friend of mine is on a rooted GS3 on Cyanogen mod and set up the home button to bring up Google now and start listening right away after holding down the home button. That is an easy 1 step process from anywhere to go straight into saying commands to the phone. And that is precisely what is lacking from stock 4.2.

Upvote 0
Nice comparative review.

Google wallet is awesome. Used NFC to buy some ice cream at Braums and I had no idea they would support it! I don't agree with the typical "Oh NFC just isn't ready yet" argument that iOS fanboys say to make themselves feel better about how the iPhone 5 doesn't have it. It is also GREAT for quickly sending a friend a link to a website. No more tap and hold, drag to select URL, copy, switch to messaging app, tap and hold, paste, send. It is just a quick tap to phone, tap to beam. Done.
You can also share a link directly from within the browser by hitting Menu and then Share and (going back to what you said about app integration) it brings up a host of sharing mediums and apps available on your phone. From bluetooth to email and messaging apps.

Upvote 0
Nice comparative review.

You can also share a link directly from within the browser by hitting Menu and then Share and (going back to what you said about app integration) it brings up a host of sharing mediums and apps available on your phone. From bluetooth to email and messaging apps.

Ya, but if my friends phone has NFC, I can just tap my phone to his and send the link that way. Much easier than going to the menu button, share, messaging, type his name, then click send. But yes, that app integration is there.

Upvote 0
Dolphin with the blue background has made web browsing much more enjoyable, I found a few bugs with Chrome and usability is lacking, I love being able to set any browser as the default, which is not possible with Apple.

I hope the next update for Android is project select text and move cursor because I do this a lot on forums etc and it is much easier on iOS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones