• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 5 randomly Powering off possibly Lollipop issue

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but reading this helped solve my problem and thought it might be helpful to other Nexus 5 owners who are just now seeing this problem.

Had same symptoms as others here... random shutdown during power-intensive activities, even with full charge. Typically happened 2-3 times per day, usually when watching a video, using camera, etc. Tried to reboot, but would fail about half way through and shut down again. Only fix was to connect to power, at which point it would successfully boot up. Same behavior in safe mode. Definitely seemed like the battery was having difficulty supplying peak power during certain power-intensive activities, including boot-up. Also, battery had degraded to the point it would rarely hold a charge for longer than 5-6 hours of normal light use.

Ordered a new battery on Amazon for $10 and watched a couple how-to videos on YouTube, including the one in this thread. Replaced the battery 4 days ago and everything is perfect. Great capacity and no random shutdowns. Replacing the battery is fairly easy. I had no special tools except a really small Phillips screwdriver. I used my thumbnail to pry the back off as well as the plastic cover inside. I used a small knife to help free the old battery from the adhesive.

Reactions: exninja
Upvote 0
My Nexus 5 won't charge; if on charger, it shows it is charging, but the battery level never rises. When it is ON the charger, it will boot normally, and I can use it normally, but as soon as I unplug it from the charger, it immediately shuts down with a message to connect a charger. When it's not on the charger, I can try to boot it, and the Google logo will come up, but then it immediately shuts down again. I have had the battery replaced, and that did not solve the problem. Funny thing is, even though it says the battery is dead, if I boot into recovery mode, that screen will stay on for a very long time -- nearly an hour -- without any battery warnings. So it seems it's only after Android tries to boot that the issue comes into play. The phone is not rooted. Any clues as to why it won't charge, even with a new battery, but works fine while on the charger? And why would it be able to run off the battery in recovery mode, but not when booting normally?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones