• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 5 Rooting Guide

Hello everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me.

I want to use the above method to root my phone and wondered if I would still be able to recieve Android updates if my phone is rooted?

In General, no, not OTA anyway. Any updates become available for root users that you can flash manually.

It's Possible however, that if you boot the recovery temporarily one time, rather than flash it to the phone to replace the stock recovery, and you stay on the stock rom and only add root (rather than using a custom rom), and you don't remove or freeze any system apps, you could probably take an OTA update.

It might remove your root when you do, but that can easily be added again.

In past experience with other devices, I had updates way before they were available for my phone because I was rooted. I even updated beyond what was ever available for my device. I know the Nexus devices get updates first though, so that may not be as big of a deal with this one.

So basically, you can get updates no matter what. Maybe not OTA, but you'll still be able to update.

Upvote 0
OK. I am trying to root using this guide and have fallen at the first hurdle. When I try to unlock the bootloader nothing happens. I have all the files needed downloaded in a folder on my C: Drive called Android. Inside the Android folder is another folder called platform-tools with all the files in.

I open up a command prompt and type: cd C:\Android\platform-tools

Then I type fastbook devices. Nothing happens expect that another command prompt appears.

I have rebooted the phone into Fastbook mode. I have also tried changing the USB computer connection from MTP to PTP and also I have enabled USB Debugging by tapping the build number in the about phone section.

Can anyone help please?

Upvote 0
OK. I am trying to root using this guide and have fallen at the first hurdle. When I try to unlock the bootloader nothing happens. I have all the files needed downloaded in a folder on my C: Drive called Android. Inside the Android folder is another folder called platform-tools with all the files in.

I open up a command prompt and type: cd C:\Android\platform-tools

Then I type fastbook devices. Nothing happens expect that another command prompt appears.

I have rebooted the phone into Fastbook mode. I have also tried changing the USB computer connection from MTP to PTP and also I have enabled USB Debugging by tapping the build number in the about phone section.

Can anyone help please?

You don't have the the drivers installed. I ran into this problem. I found some drivers that worked on Google. let me see if I find them

Edit: couldn't find them. Too lazy through my history. I found these from Koush should work

http://koush.com/post/universal-adb-driver

Upvote 0
I've been using it just fine. If you don't check the option in the twrp settings "use rm -rf instead of format", wiping cache takes a long time. It has cause problems with people thinking it's frozen and interrupting the format. Other than that (user error) I haven't had or heard of any issues.

TWRP doesn't like my Hammerhead for some odd reason :mad:

Upvote 0
In General, no, not OTA anyway. Any updates become available for root users that you can flash manually.

It's Possible however, that if you boot the recovery temporarily one time, rather than flash it to the phone to replace the stock recovery, and you stay on the stock rom and only add root (rather than using a custom rom), and you don't remove or freeze any system apps, you could probably take an OTA update.

It might remove your root when you do, but that can easily be added again.

In past experience with other devices, I had updates way before they were available for my phone because I was rooted. I even updated beyond what was ever available for my device. I know the Nexus devices get updates first though, so that may not be as big of a deal with this one.

So basically, you can get updates no matter what. Maybe not OTA, but you'll still be able to update.
Carrying on from this, if I root using the above steps am I right in saying I won't get OTA updates anymore? If so, where would I get the updates from? What do they come in the form of and how would I install them?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Carrying on from this, if I root using the above steps am I right in saying I won't get OTA updates anymore? If so, where would I get the updates from? What do they come in the form of and how would I install them?

Thanks

Here is one place.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerheadkrt16m

There is usually a link like this to the latest in the Guide To Rooting FAQ stickied here.

Or you can use a toolkit like WUG's to unroot and wait for the OTA. That's what I did for my Nexus 7 that just updated.

Upvote 0
Guys I am stuck on the last section, flash SU files. I downloaded SuperSU and put it on my internal storage but when unlocking bootloader and flashing recovery it must have wiped all my data because now in recovery I can't find the directory that I put SuperSU. I don't know how to get it from my PC on to my phone now...

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Guys I am stuck on the last section, flash SU files. I downloaded SuperSU and put it on my internal storage but when unlocking bootloader and flashing recovery it must have wiped all my data because now in recovery I can't find the directory that I put SuperSU. I don't know how to get it from my PC on to my phone now...

Any ideas?

When you unlock the Bootloader it wipes EVERYTHING. But no worries. Just reboot the phone by toggling the volume keys in the Bootloader and start it up. Congratulations, you now have a rooted phone on a stock ROM.

Use MTP to transfer your SuperSU zip and any other files, i.e ROM, kernel, mods onto the "SD" portion.

Reboot into Recovery via Bootloader and flash said files. I always flash the SuperSU last.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
When you unlock the Bootloader it wipes EVERYTHING. But no worries. Just reboot the phone by toggling the volume keys in the Bootloader and start it up. Congratulations, you now have a rooted phone on a stock ROM.

Use MTP to transfer your SuperSU zip and any other files, i.e ROM, kernel, mods onto the "SD" portion.

Reboot into Recovery via Bootloader and flash said files. I always flash the SuperSU last.

Good luck!
When I turn off and reboot the phone after unlocking the bootloader it becomes stuck on the four coloured circles bootscreen.

The recoveries I am trying can't see my internal storage. And when I try to adb sideload or adb push it says error device not found. Help.

Upvote 0
Does unlocking the bootloader and rebooting the phone really give you root?

Doing it the manual method provided in the guide no, but if you use the cf auto root method, then yes. The problem with the cf method is that it might not work once the bootloader is updated with an update. However the manual method will always work.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones