• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5: screen not responding

BigBug

Jan 11, 2013
Hi everyone:

I have a 2014 Nexus 5 and somewhat out of the blue the screen has totally stopped responding: literally no response at all as I move my finger across the screen.

I reboot the phone and the phone is still completely non-responsive to moving my finger on the screen (I have cleaned the screen and nothing; also the phone was not dropped the best of my knowledge--definitely no cracks or chip; did not get put in water except sweat from my face; I have no screen protector and have taken it out of its case; all side buttons like power and volume work normally)

I assume this means the digitizer is shot. But what is strange is if when I hit the power off button on the right, I can hit the power off pop-up on my screen and it turns off (I can also long hit it and get it to reboot to safe mode, which I have tried and still the same no response)! Yet hitting that exact same spot when it is on the lock screen does nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can give more infos if that would help of course.

small addition:
I should have added that the phone is responsive in the sense that the lockscreen updates when no activity occurs (phone calls, emails, etc)

Last edited:
Two things come to mind.

First, does it respond when someone calls you (so you can answer)?

Second, do you have an app that creates an invisible overlay? The second is very unlikely if it still happens when you start in Safe Mode, but only if your phone has never been rooted.

A worst-case scenario might be that you have to do a factory-level reset. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I got in for a few minutes: worked until the screen blanked and now screen is unresponsive just like before.

It seemed like most things were fine except:
- could not get the notifications at the top to pull down and view (so that would be like a list of messages on the top left or changing the settings like putting it in airplace mode)
- all of my widgets were invisible but seem to be still there (if I try to add the same widgets back I get a message saying that only one widget allowed).

Completely mystified.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones