• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

silasp

Jan 9, 2020
Hi. The touch screen on my co-worker's S22 Ultra is very erratic. She has begun having problems with scrolling and touch response. I read somewhere about doing a forced reboot by pressing volume down and power buttons simultaneously. I don't want to recommend that unless I'm confident no harm can come of that. Has anyone ever tried that method?

That will result in starting the process to do a forced restart, more details here:

But why not just press the Power button to call up a menu to do a restart? Using a forced restart method is for when you don't have any other options.
In any case, I'm going to suggest you continue to avoid experimenting with her phone, that's a risky thing to do when you're not comfortable maintaining an Android phone. Playing with different button combinations and tapping on links to functions you're not aware of can result in inadvertenly wiping her data. It might be best for her to take her S22 Ultra to a trusted, local service shop, or at least to someone who is familiar with basic servicing practices.

Does she have any kind of data backup service already set up? That's an important thing to do. It's vital to have a way to do a restore if something happens, just because a smartphone is more prone to being lost, stolen, or damaged. And whenever you need to drop off a phone for servicing, the data stored on the phone usually has higher value than the phone itself. So if it gets wiped as part of the repair, restoring the data is doable. Have her look into using Samsung's Smart Switch utility, it should be a pre-installed app on her phone.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones