• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 Speculation

Perhaps, but that doesn't fit the "Nexus N" template ("Nexus 1" and Nexus One" are completely different names) and in any case there was no "Nexus 2" or "Nexus 3" to justify the assertion that "Nexus 4" is following any existing generational naming convention. But is is following an existing Nexus screen size naming convention...

Sorry, I really will shut up about this now. Until next time ;-)

I agree that I find it dumb that they went with Nexus S and even dumber with Galaxy Nexus for their 2nd and 3rd generation models. Though Nexus One doesn't follow the template when written, it does follow it when spoken because you wouldn't say it as "Nexus O-N-E". I am anxious to see what will happen when they hit the 7th generation phone due to tablet naming scheme, though I suspect they'll exepct that they'll either change the sequence by then, or expect us to forget thay they've already used that name before.

Upvote 0
I am anxious to see what will happen when they hit the 7th generation phone due to tablet naming scheme, though I suspect they'll exepct that they'll either change the sequence by then, or expect us to forget thay they've already used that name before.

That's easy - since the name is completely unconnected with the generation ;-)

Upvote 0
Wild speculation is about to follow, but here's my guess:

[4" Phone Branding]
Nexus 4
Nexus 4.1
Nexus 4.2
etc

[7" Tablet Branding]
Nexus 7
Nexus 7.1
Nexus 7.2
etc

[10" Tablet Branding]
Nexus 10
Nexus 10.1
Nexus 10.2
etc

The number will correspond to the size of the device and the decimal will correspond to the device version. We wont really know until the new Nexus 7 or the new Nexus 4 comes out. =\

Upvote 0
Wild speculation is about to follow, but here's my guess:

[4" Phone Branding]
Nexus 4
Nexus 4.1
Nexus 4.2
etc

[7" Tablet Branding]
Nexus 7
Nexus 7.1
Nexus 7.2
etc

[10" Tablet Branding]
Nexus 10
Nexus 10.1
Nexus 10.2
etc

The number will correspond to the size of the device and the decimal will correspond to the device version. We wont really know until the new Nexus 7 or the new Nexus 4 comes out. =\

To some people the naming of additional Nexus 4 devices you predict, may be a little confusing.

I'm sure some people would confuse the name of the phone and the version of android.

Google have a tricky situation to handle to progress this :)

Upvote 0
To some people the naming of additional Nexus 4 devices you predict, may be a little confusing.

I'm sure some people would confuse the name of the phone and the version of android.

Google have a tricky situation to handle to progress this :)

Drop the "4.1" (start the sequence at 2) and replace the "." with "v". Stylistically the "v2" suffix can be in a different, smaller font with the emphasis still strongly on the "Nexus N" name.

Perhaps something like: Nexus 4 v2

Upvote 0
Seems a shame to stop this silliness now...

• Nexus One was HTC's first attempt to develop the "One" branding.
  • Nexus S because it was Samsung
  • Galaxy Nexus because it was Samsung, Galaxy was their flagshp branding and they had become powerful enough for top billing.
  • Nexus 4 , the 4th Nexus, because, let's face it, LG has no imagination when it comes to naming phones.

I have, of course, no facts to establish the above-- but it's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p;):D

Upvote 0
I think for sure the N5 will have a 5" screen. 5" on the nose. 3GB Ram and a 2+ Ghz quad-core processor.

Will it have the "unbreakable" display rumored to be on the Note 3?I guess we can always look at the G2 and get an idea being that the N4 and G were one in the same basically. I say this because I still feel that LG is making the N5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones