• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 5X mock location not working anymore

usernamed

Lurker
Jul 14, 2011
Hello!

I've got a question, and yes i've been Googling it: Why doesn't Android's mocking location work as it should? Up until the latest July security update for Nexus 5X i could use a GPS faker to spoof my location. But not it doesn't work, and whichever app you try (free or Pro version), the location keeps swapping between the real location and fake one.

I've read that you have to have a root access and disable fusedlocation or something for it to work, but at the same time others say fusedlocation isn't anything to do with GPS coordinates. The thing is i can't root this particular phone. And how come it has suddenly started to mess around now when i have been using mock location for many months now?

Also if you enable mock location under developer options shouldn't your device respond to you? Why does it want to change your location to a real one? When going to Google Maps it flickers between the real and spoofed one.

Is it some Nexus thing, or Android problem overall? And is there any humane solution for it? Why feature mock location at all if it doesn't work anymore.

Edit: I'm not talking about Pokemon Go, so my case doesn't require mock mock locatoin Xposed module. I'm using apps that don't have any mock location detection.

Yes, i read it, and there didn't seem to be any ultimate solution for it. Some said FusedLocatoin must be disabled, while others said it has nothing to do with GPS. So i don't know.

I find it hard to believe that Google would mess up the mock loaction function because of a successful Pokemon game.

My situation is even more complicated, because up until now it worked just fine. And i must use High Accuracy location, because i'm often located outside my country where i can only use WiFi for my connection. But as i said, my apps don't have any mock location detection. But now mock location is skeweed by the device and/or Android itself (if you do a Google Maps test).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Yes, i read it, and there didn't seem to be any ultimate solution for it. Some said FusedLocatoin must be disabled, while others said it has nothing to do with GPS. So i don't know.

I find it hard to believe that Google would mess up the mock loaction function because of a successful Pokemon game.

It is quite possible that some of the Android dev team at the Googleplex, Mountain View, CA are Pokemon Go players. Someone might have thought, we're doing Niantic and Nintendo a favour here, let's try it on all those Nexus devices first. :)

My situation is even more complicated, because up until now it worked just fine. And i must use High Accuracy location, because i'm often located outside my country where i can only use WiFi for my connection. But as i said, my apps don't have any mock location detection. But now mock location is skeweed by the device and/or Android itself (if you do a Google Maps test).

Frankly it's because of that game, I've even been aware of any mock location questions on AF. I've never even thought of trying mock locations, I just use GPS with maps when I need to find where I'm going sometimes. :D ...and I'm not playing Pokemon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones