• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5X work in the UAE?

zkm1223

Lurker
Jul 20, 2012
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the Nexus 5X from the UK. I need to know if it will also work in the UAE as I am going over in the August as I have secured a job there.

I need it to work in both the UK and UAE as I will be coming back every summer.

My friend said that it may not work in UAE depending on the band???

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Looks like you'd be OK.

Apparently, these are the networks available in UAE (from http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html):

900 / 1800

3G 2100 du UAE;
3G 2100 ETISALAT;

4G LTE du UAE 1800Mhz;
4G LTE ETISALAT 1800/2600Mhz;

And these are the networks available in the UK:

900 / 1800

3G 2100 Orange;
3G 2100 Everything Everywhere (T-Mobile);
3G 2100 Hutchison (3);
3G 900 /2100 O2;
3G 2100 Vodafone;

4G LTE Hutchison (3) 800/1800Mhz;
4G LTE EE (T-Mobile) 1800/2600Mhz;
4G LTE O2 800Mhz;
4G LTE Vodafone 800Mhz;
4G LTE UK Broadband (UKB) 3500/3600Mhz;
4G LTE BT 2600Mhz- Planned;

I know that the 5x works on EE's 3G in the UK. I haven't heard anything to suggest it doesn't work on 4G but my contract doesn't include it (it's old .. and cheap ;)). If it does, it would suggest that you'd be fine on either of the UAE operators.

Upvote 0
I recently bought a Nexus 5x from a company in the U.S. It arrived with a European style charging plug. I envisioned disaster. As I read the packaging I saw UAE. Aha! The next morning I took the phone to my cell service provider here in Mexico and asked if it would be fully functional in Mexico. It disappeared to the dungeon where they keep techs chained to desks and in five minutes was back. I was told it would work fine in Mexico and the U.S. So far, so good.

I bought a simple adapter for the plug. It cost about $.80 and works fine. The trick was finding a place in Oaxaca, Mexico, with the friggin' plug adapter. No one has a USB to USB c cable or a USB micro to USB c adapter. So, I waiting for deliveries from Amazon. Of course, they're coming by UPS, DHL, FedEx, and USPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones