• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 6 randomly turns off

I haven't seen that in six months. It happened to me once or twice in December, but I attributed to me accidentally grabbing the phone by the power button for just a second too long.

Could be a battery thing. Clear the caches and battery stats. And then if that doesn't help ... um ... er ... hmmm ... factory reset.

Upvote 0
I am also facing the same issue with my N6 Donno what to do now, Its randomly turns -off - And within one month I did more than 5 times restore factory & reset, But still its not cleared... Please give some good solution for this..

If that same thing happens with me I will be calling ATT and telling them I need a replacement. Plain and simple. I HAVE to have cell coverage I cannot be without a phone. If something happened with my mom and she couldn't reach me it could be catastrophic.

So this reset better damn well fix it or all hell breaks loose. (well not really but I have to settle for a refurb - that's almost all hell breaking loose)
:D

Upvote 0
Yes. Whenever I open camera, maps or switch between apps, the phone goes blank. When I restart, it would not power up immediately. Rather it says optimizing apps. There were instances when it went blank again without coming up. This caused immense trouble to me as I was depending on the maps for navigation.

I tried factory reset. Things were okay for few hours. But the same problem cropped up. I filed a claim for warranty with ATT and getting a new device in few days.

Upvote 0
I was facing with that issue too months ago. But I don't know if this actually worked but I rooted my phone and then it stopped if you are intrested in this comment i'll tell you what did I litterally did back then
Thanks. I'll get back to you if the issue persists in the new device. It's already been shipped.

I was facing with that issue too months ago. But I don't know if this actually worked but I rooted my phone and then it stopped if you are intrested in this comment i'll tell you what did I litterally did back then
Thanks. I'll get back to you if the issue persists in the new device. It's already been shipped.

Reactions: Red_WaveGames
Upvote 0
Well. I factory re-set. It's a bit better but now instead of "google services" eating battery, I have "google play services" as the number 2 battery drain, currently 64% battery left (off charge at 5:30 am today now it's 12:30)twitter number one at 8% (don't judge) Google play services is 5% then screen at 4%.
Says 14 hours remaining.

Le Sigh.

When does the moto x 2015 come out again?

Upvote 0
Well. I factory re-set. It's a bit better but now instead of "google services" eating battery, I have "google play services" as the number 2 battery drain, currently 64% battery left (off charge at 5:30 am today now it's 12:30)twitter number one at 8% (don't judge) Google play services is 5% then screen at 4%.
Says 14 hours remaining.

Le Sigh.

When does the moto x 2015 come out again?
Nice calculations man

Upvote 0
Well battery life seems to be back up (by a large amount) I was lucky to get 12 hours on a charge there for a while but I am back up to 20+ hours with normal use during the day. Not as good as I am used to but good enough for now.

The new Moto X is looking very tempting, especially since the only thing I have not liked about the N6 (up till the battery issues of late) was missing the Moto X specific software I had grown to love with my 1st gen. Looks like they basically remade the N6 with a bit better processor a bit smaller battery and a bit smaller overall. I think I can live with that. OH and expandable storage - YAY.
:)

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an X Style myself. I'm trying to talk the Mrs. into it. ;) The N6 is just too big for her.

Yea I dig the N6 but I could use a bit smaller too. Some of my smaller pocketed pants make it a tad uncomfortable. Honestly I wish they'd have stayed with the 5.2 footprint, I think that's a pretty sweet spot for phone sizes. That said seeing the 014 X the 2015 X (Style) and the N6 in the line up size comparison, the X (Style) looks to to be just like baby bears porridge, just right. :D

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Very strange indeed. o_O

I took my phone out of my car at ~9:00 a.m. at 100% charge.

NCC7HMX2lhfXFbtBfnzqRu04qKylyJQl31u5QQhi-2s=w480-h852-no

This is with everything on.

Upvote 0
I am facing the similar issue for a few weeks. Have anyone tried using without the SIM card and see the random power off persists?

I tried running the phone without SIM for a week and the phone works great.

I contacted the Motorola customer care and they asked me to send the phone for their service centre.

I got mine through ATT and I will be calling them tonight. The battery thing is back and forth for me right now, sometimes normal sometimes not. However, it did the random shut off on Saturday and Maps Nav kept "Stopping Unexpectedly" over the weekend. While I was out of town someplace I have never been and navigating with the screen off to save battery no less. Always fun when you're expecting directions and you check and it's not navigating any more. It almost really screwed me up trying to get across the river in St. Louis. Besides the fact it tried to take me across the MLKjr bridge that's been closed for months. :rolleyes:

It's gone completely bonkers of late and it shall be replaced.

Upvote 0
Hey,

I also have this problem, though mine seems a bit more drastic. When it happens, it never turns back on by itself so can't be the case pressing the power button too hard, forcing a reboot. My case is a gel type any one, and it feels quite loose from the buttons. I have a stock phone/Android. And am on the O2 network in the UK.

I upgraded to the Nexus 6 in May this year. For the first 2 months it's been absolutely fine, but recently the battery is absolutely terrible. Notice how I didn't say battery life.

It came with Lollipop 5.1, but I upgraded to 5.1.1 when I got offered it on the phone.

Basically, what happens is, completely randomly, my phone will just shut off as if the battery has been pulled. I don't get the Powering Off warning appear. It just dies. It happened this morning and when it came back on, it had 92% battery life. Sometimes it happens during a phone call, other times it's when it's just sat there doing nothing in standby.

Other times, I will get the Powering Off warning appear, but this happens when there is still plenty of charge (it happened yesterday with something like 84% battery life) - it drops to 0% in seconds.

I've even had it happen while the phone is booting up. Everytime this happens, when I plug it and turn it on, I get the 'Android is starting... Optimising App x of x' process, which take 10 or so minutes.

Most of the time, if I try and turn in straight back on, I'll get the battery flat indicator on screen. If I wait 5 or 10 minutes it will then come back on, with battery showing where it left off. Rarely, it will come straight back on.

I have tried:

A standard factory reset (from Settings), multiple times
A bootloader factory reset
A bootloader cache wipe
A battery reset (as advised by Motorola - instructions below)

I never to a restore after a factory reset - always do as a new device. I've had this problem in factory state, so no 3rd party apps.

Battery reset:

With the phone ON and unplugged from wall charger, press POWER for 20 seconds until the phone force restarts. When the phone has restarted, connect the wall charger. Charge the phone to 100% and leave it connected to charge for a couple of hours after it has reached 100%.

Funnily enough, since doing this battery reset procedure, I think the problem has become worse. When it started it tended to do it with lower battery (40-50%, so still not low battery). And as above, it's started doing it with really high battery left.

One thing I haven't tried yet is a new, fresh install of 5.1.1 which has supposedly fixed problems similar to mine (the Optimising app x of x at bootup) - is this something worth doing or just get it replaced?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK so since I got my n6 at launch last year I have suffered constant random reboots
Grab phone open no particular app bamg screen gone black and device reboots

Once it had rebooted it was like it never happened all current apps still open

All this coincided with the proximity sensor all so not responding so I always had black ßcreens during calls

Numerous factory resets and reboots persisted even running in safe mode didn't seem to last more than a few days before rebooting

I had a web chat session with Google who wouldn't help as the device was not from the play store and referred me back to o2 who no longer stock the device and offered to repair but as I could not replicate upon request a reboot they were not coming with help and even suggested that I would be charged if they found no fault with the device

Anyway fast forward a few weeks and I was googling random reboots and stumbled across an old thread referring to a similar issue on a device running 4.1 and the culprit was amazing app

I have since removed that app and for 4 weeks now I have not had a reboot at all

Coincidence ??? Could be

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones