• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 2013 (Android 6) stuck in start up animation

Kharl

Feb 22, 2013
Hi guys!!!

i came here hoping to get some help from you.

i am tired of this so unreliable tablet, is not enough to deal with the famous known touch screen issue of the nexus 7 2013 but also i have to deal with a so fragile OS which could leave me hang out anywhere when i less expect it.

this is the third time this crappy tablet does that to me.

the most curious thing is... I DID NOT PERFORM any upgrade, app install.. or any of the normal things that us to trigger these kind of errors...

i just decide to turn the tablet off, and then on and there the problem was.....

it takes longer than normal with the android 6 animation and after 4-6 minutes hen the ANDROID word appear, then it goes to the box that says loading apps or starting apps or verifying apps (not sure) but when it reach 40 of 40 then it goes black and star over with the animation... and the circle is repeated...

i tried wiping the cache nothing works...

now i just want a way to recover some data (i didnt had too mcuh important data because I ALREADY knew this table is more unreliable than chinese ones (chinese has lot of hw deffect but none of those let me naked, if not by the bad quality of the hardware and the terrible quality of the screen.....)

once i get my data out of the tablet i put a sell on it

help me with this guys!

Is your tablet rooted kharl? If so, have you flashed anything such as a Zip or Rom? There may be another option for you. Please get back to me with the answers to my questions and we can get something sorted!

Hi James!!!
thank you a lot for your answer!

no is not rooted

i am 95% sure the problem is caused by an app
i installed two apps, dont remember, but that was several days ago i remember two time lapse video apps but i had no time to test it i just downloaded it and in quequed for testing it..

but apparently the problem came with one of those apps and it didn't came up (the problem) until i decide to restart the problem.. i guess is an app problem because the system loads (longer than usual in the animation) and the optimizing app box appear but when it reach the end of the total apps it freezes and goes back over to the start up logo

Upvote 0
OK! Thanks for your quick response Kharl! I m going to give you precise instructions on what to do, you must follow these. It is vitally important you don't do these wrong, if you want to get your tablet back.
I presume you have a laptop or PC ? If not let me know, If you do follow these steps as I say:
1. Go here and download the ADB and Fastboot drivers, just click download on Google Drive.
2. Move the file to your desktop and right click on the file and click 'Run as administrator'.
3. A screen should appear with the title 15 Seconds ADB installer. Press Y on your keyboard, then press Y two more times.
4. Continue driver installation, go here and scroll down until you see your device model, and then click the download button, make sure to save it in this directory: C:/android-sdk/platform-tools (same folder as fastboot files are)
5. Take all of the files from inside the new extracted folder and copy them into the C:/android-sdk/platform-tools/ folder.
6. Power off the Nexus 7 then power button + Volume down at same time for max 15 seconds. You should see a bootloader screen come up with a android on it.
7. Plug in your USB cable.
8. Open the Platform Tools folder of the SDK, hold down shift and right-click in any blank area of the folder. Select the option to Open a Command Prompt in the folder.
(NOTE, THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON TABLET AND MIGHT EVEN REMOVE THE WARRANTY!!!)
9. At the command prompt, type the following while hitting enter at the end of each line:

fastboot erase boot

fastboot erase cache

fastboot erase recovery

fastboot erase system

fastboot erase userdata

10. After that is done, type fastboot oem unlock and hit Enter.
11. After that is done, type fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img (Name and number may differ depending on the image downloaded) and hit Enter.
12. Then type fastboot reboot-bootloader and hit Enter.
13. After that is done, type fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jro03d.zip then hit Enter.
14. When the device reboots, power off the Nexus and turn it back on by holding down Volume Down and Power at the same time until the bootloader screen comes up.
15. After that is done, type fastboot oem lock at the command line and hit Enter.
16. Type fastboot reboot and then the device should reboot!
Congrats, if this worked, you should be up and working properly! If you need any help I will be available next few hours, I have faith in you! Good luck, get back as soon as possible!
James,

Reactions: gabriellexx
Upvote 0
Thank you James!

first of all, i dont want you to loos yoru time waiting for my nex reply, i have to go out to work and i will be back within 4 hours (i dont know where are u locate but i hope by the end of those 4 hours you dont be working or sleeping lol)

BUT after all that, if the above mentioned method will anyway erase my data (i wanted to try to recover some notes... and some files in the memory (i will never buy a tablet without sd slot)

isnt better to try wipe all data first, from the recovery menu? the first time this crap of tablet did that i was able to get it back with a complete wipe (losing al my info...)

Upvote 0
You could try that! Although doing what I said might save your system for the app thats causing the issue in the future. Or If you wanted I have this tool that roots your tablet, which would allow you to save backups of your device, so no data loss with issue. I might not be available, but will get back as soon as possible Kharl!
James,

Upvote 0
OK! Thanks for your quick response Kharl! I m going to give you precise instructions on what to do, you must follow these. It is vitally important you don't do these wrong, if you want to get your tablet back.
I presume you have a laptop or PC ? If not let me know, If you do follow these steps as I say:
1. Go here and download the ADB and Fastboot drivers, just click download on Google Drive.
2. Move the file to your desktop and right click on the file and click 'Run as administrator'.
3. A screen should appear with the title 15 Seconds ADB installer. Press Y on your keyboard, then press Y two more times.
4. Continue driver installation, go here and scroll down until you see your device model, and then click the download button, make sure to save it in this directory: C:/android-sdk/platform-tools (same folder as fastboot files are)
5. Take all of the files from inside the new extracted folder and copy them into the C:/android-sdk/platform-tools/ folder.
6. Power off the Nexus 7 then power button + Volume down at same time for max 15 seconds. You should see a bootloader screen come up with a android on it.
8. Open the Platform Tools folder of the SDK, hold down shift and right-click in any blank area of the folder. Select the option to Open a Command Prompt in the folder.
(NOTE, THIS WILL DELETE ALL DATA ON TABLET AND MIGHT EVEN REMOVE THE WARRANTY!!!)
9. At the command prompt, type the following while hitting enter at the end of each line:

fastboot erase boot

fastboot erase cache

fastboot erase recovery

fastboot erase system

fastboot erase userdata

11. After that is done, type fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img (Name and number may differ depending on the image downloaded) and hit Enter.
13. After that is done, type fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jro03d.zip then hit Enter.
14. When the device reboots, power off the Nexus and turn it back on by holding down Volume Down and Power at the same time until the bootloader screen comes up.
15. After that is done, type fastboot oem lock at the command line and hit Enter.
Congrats, if this worked, you should be up and working properly! If you need any help I will be available next few hours, I have faith in you! Good luck, get back as soon as possible!
James,
Hi James is it the same thing for the lenovoB6000_F already got the file etc wasn't sure wot to do from there well I didn't know the cmd prompt,thankyou

Upvote 0
ehh.. James, i think there is a mistake in your indications

fastboot erase boot

fastboot erase cache

fastboot erase recovery

fastboot erase system

fastboot erase userdata

James,

i colored the two point where i found something is not working fine

The first one:
the red words:

is not the same folder as fastboot files are, if those fastboot files you mention, are the ones from the "adb-setup-1.4.3" file downloaded in the step 1, no, they are not located in that folder, after run as administrator and the three Y and the driver setup, the files are extracted/installed in "C:\adb"

the direction you mention (C:/android-sdk/platform-tools) was created byt the user (in this case, me) in order to locate the file downloaded in the step 4

and now the second error/problem, the words in green

after writing those words and hitting enter...

i receive a message
".... waiting for device"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let me see if I can pick up where others left off. First, it doesn't really matter where the fastboot.exe file is located, you'll just need to know that, and you'll need to extract all your system images to that directory (actually you don't really have to, it just makes it easier ;) ).

I am assuming here that you did unlock the bootloader and you are booting into fastboot mode, right?

The problem you are having is that the drivers for your tablet aren't installed, or installed incorrectly.

First go get the Google Drivers. Unzip them to a location you can remember. IF your fastboot files are in c:\adb then create a subfolder like c:\adb\drivers and put them there.

Click on the beach ball (Windows start menu) and on the right side right-click "computer". From the pop-up menu select "manage" and click on device manager. You should see "Android Phone" listed at the top like this.

manage-jpg.84292

(Yes, you see correctly, my PC is named "monkeyserver" :p Got a problem with that?)

If you see that, just like that, you're good. But, if you see something with a yellow triangle and it says unknown device, we gotta install the missing driver. Double-click on the unknown device, select the driver tab and choose to update the driver. From there choose the second option, to locate the driver yourself and then browse to [path to driver files] and click okay. It should find the adb driver and install it and then your management console will change to above.

Now, let's just make sure your good.
Press the windows key + r and type "cmd" then ENTER. At the command prompt (the flashing dos terminal window thingy)
Code:
 cd c:\adb
and then type
Code:
fastboot devices
if all goes well you'll see a serial number and it will look like this:
dos1-jpg.84293

That means the device is connected. From there you can now start flashing the device.

First thing you have to unzip "image-(name of your build).zip" and place the 5 .img files in the same folder as fastboot.exe (that would be the one you're in now ... c:\adb). They would be

boot.img
cache.img
userdata.img
recovery.img
system.img

Remember, just type "fastboot flash bootloader boot" and hit tab so you don't have to type the whole string. ;)

First we reflash the bootloader
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-(name of your build).img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Then we reflash the radio
Code:
fastboot flash radio radio-(name of your build).img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now we're going to do all that stuff the update command should have done.
Code:
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img

The system will take the longest as it's 1.7GB so be a little patient ... it will display progress. When the final flash is complete, type
Code:
fastboot reboot

That should do it. Let it complete the initial setup (in might take a while) and you'll be back to factory fresh.

Upvote 0
Put the tablet into fastboot mode. From a powered-off state, press and hold the volume down and power buttons together until you see this:
image740.png

If you're bootlooping, you'll have to press and hold the power button only to force a simulated battery pull. AS SOON AS THE SCREEN GOES DARK, press and hold the power and vol. down. It could be tricky and take a couple of tries.

Once you're here, then plug in your tablet to your PC. If you've lived a good clean life, your PC will recognize it and install the right drivers. If it doesn't then follow the instructions above.

Again, once the driver is installed, type
Code:
fastboot devices
to confirm that the device is recognized.

Now type
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
And your tablet will wake up and tell you stuff like this:
Bootloader_Galaxy_Nexus.jpg

Use the volume keys to select "yes" and power to accept. Your tablet will reboot and factory reset itself but you'll also see the little unlocked icon now on the boot screen. Let it do it's thing until it's back to a factory fresh welcome screen. Technically you could stop here if it boots properly, but assuming you have something corrupt in the system partition, you might want to go ahead and reflash the factory firmware.

Upvote 0
dude, there is something VERY VERY wrong
i am unable to install driver because the computer is unable to recognize the tablet,and is not the computer the problem, any computer i connect the crap of this nexus it does not recognized it is like if i have not connected anything, the hdd activity led of the computer does not even do a single blink when i connec the nexus

Upvote 0
Bro If you didn't do anything yet try to boot into safe mode (in safe more user apps with be disabled and then you can uninstall the suspicious apps caused the boot loop)
Turn on the phone or tablet by long-pressing the power button again. Release the power button and, when you see a logo appear during boot-up, hold down both the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. Continue holding the two buttons until the device boots up with a Safe mode

Upvote 0
And it's in fastboot mode when you do this?

It could simply be a broken port connector.

yes, it is in fastboot mode
i dont think there is a broken port conenctor, it charges and i physically inspected and tested each pin for conductivity

Bro If you didn't do anything yet try to boot into safe mode (in safe more user apps with be disabled and then you can uninstall the suspicious apps caused the boot loop)
Turn on the phone or tablet by long-pressing the power button again. Release the power button and, when you see a logo appear during boot-up, hold down both the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. Continue holding the two buttons until the device boots up with a Safe mode

no fast mode from OS since it is in the best thing google do (to send a device in a beautiful perfect and endless bootloop

and no safe mode neither with the methodu mentioned (5 painfull minutes pressing those buttons (in fact i didnt know i could enter to safe modefrom outside the OS (in google forum doesnt know that)

Also try different usb cables and ports. I've had issues like this if the usb port I'm using is not usb 2.0

three cable tested,
different usb port
different computers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones